Jotul 118 sees daylight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
This old stove has been buried in an outbulding since my wife found it at auction for $5 over a decade ago.

All parts seem to be there, some are in need of help. One side burn plate is broken in two, the other is cracked. Also, the shoulder plate is cracked in two places and the previous owner installed straps and a couple of spot welds to hold things together. Some sort of resin is bonded to the top cover; I imagine some heat will be needed to get that off. The build date appears to be July 1977.

My plan was to refurbish and install it in the house but I've discovered that our local zoning authority may not share my enthusiasm over placing a non-conforming appliance in a living area. So... I may use it in an old shed/workshop far from the house.

Either way, it appears the bolts holding it together will not come out without twisting off. On the other hand, they are very soft and should be easy to drill out.

Just what I need... more stuff to do!

Jotul 118 sees daylight Jotul 118 sees daylight Jotul 118 sees daylight Jotul 118 sees daylight