Jotul 118 1979 door gasket size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello,
My brother recently got a very nice jotul 118 from 1979. It’s in good shape but the door doesn’t want to close tight, you really have to push it. After looking at the door for a minute , my best guess was that the gasket material is too big. Does anyone know what size door gasket material we should have in there?

thanks

If like the F602 it may be 3/8".

That would make sense, we will try that

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be gasket material around the top plate, the one that’s removable?

Yes absolutely the large removable top plate needs a gasket, I am burning a 1980 118 stove. All of the gaskets are still original but I had to replace the top one. (This stove was only burned the winter of 1980 before I picked it up in 2017 so that is why I am still on original gasketing everywhere else. For its size this stove will put out serious heat with seasoned wood. I am burning mine this season on a new insulated stainless liner that is 25 feet tall. I have to keep the manual pipe damper mostly closed and the air spinner cracked or it takes off on me. I am getting solid 8 hour burns from it using 2 year seasoned cherry.

Thanks for the info black Betty. You wouldn’t happen to have sizing on that top gasket would you?

Top plate gasket on the new F118CB is 3/8" x 7', low density. Suspect it is the same on the older model.

I will double check. I have about a foot long piece of it laying around left over. I believe I went with a 1/2" gasket because the 3/8" was too sloppy. I used the graphite impregnated rope but doubt that matters, it was what was available. I cleaned the groove out really good with a wire wheel on a grinder to make sure I got a really good adhesion. The top plate fits perfectly and no smoke leaks out at all.

Oh and it was low density rope as well like begreen mentioned. If you call a jotul dealer they may be able to look up the old 118 if they have some manuals or whatnot laying around and give you exactly what it called for 40 years ago. I cant remember if I used 3/8 or 1/2" now..... That bugs me. Im not at home at the moment and cant check......

Thanks black Betty I can track it down. My concern was finding out if gasketing was required. You’ve pointed me in the right direction and I appreciate it

No problem. They are a great medium sized stove. I love mine. Keeps me warm in the shoulder seasons. When the real cold sets in I fire up the coal stove.

Yeah I've heard great things about them. I think it'll be a great choice to go in our camp. Brand new construction, very well insulated, not a ton of space to heat. Hopefully it'll be fully operational at some point this winter.