Jotul’s new Turbulator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Does anyone out there know anything about Jotul’s new Turbulator in the F45 and the new F55? What kind of warranty are they offering on this new type of stove? According to the parts diagram, it has a baffle blanket over the Turbulator. I wonder how often it has to be replaced? Thanks for your time.

For baffle blankets in general, they are pretty tough, you just have to be careful when removing them before cleaning the chimney depending on your setup.

Turbulator???? Marketing running amok.
A turbulator is just a device that turns a laminar boundary layer into a turbulent boundary layer. You see them on some race cars, aircraft, many industrial heating applications, ,pretty much every EPA woodstove, and many more applications. It is such an accepted term that most people just abbreviate it to "turbs".

Exactly right. Turbulators have been used in some stoves in various configurations for decades. This is one from a CDW stove. Dovre used a similar design on some models. Here is a picture of one for their model 300H.

Jotul’s new Turbulator

Exactly right. Turbulators have been used in some stoves in various configurations for decades. This is one from a CDW stove. Dovre used a similar design on some models. Here is a picture of one for their model 300H.

View attachment 261225
Looks like an expensive casting! Doesn't look like something that will ever have to be replaced either.

Looks like an expensive casting! Doesn't look like something that will ever have to be replaced either.
it is a stout casting but they burn out after 20 yrs or so of full-time heating.
Dovre HL100-01.jpg

Umm......meanwhile back on the F45 and F55 Warranty info........

Umm......meanwhile back on the F45 and F55 Warranty info........
Begreen shared the old turbulator to make the point that a 20 year or longer service life should be expected, especially from a large manufacturer like Jotul.

Quite honestly I don't know much about Jotul's new turbulator. Could just be a fin airfoil.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
Interesting. Osburn is using a pair of vanes on some of their stoves now, though I haven't gotten to see one in person yet. With C-19 I haven't been to any stove shops in months.

As to those burn plate insulation blankets. I replace mine about every 3 years. The first one from Jotul was real pricey. I found the exact material and bought a roll, real cheep. Now I just cut one to size when ever it's getting lumpy. .

As to those burn plate insulation blankets. I replace mine about every 3 years. The first one from Jotul was real pricey. I found the exact material and bought a roll, real cheep. Now I just cut one to size when ever it's getting lumpy. .
Thank you for the information. It appears that you have to take the top of the stove off to clean the turbulator. According to a local dealer, the F55 will be out in August. The PE t6 looks like a better way to go at this time for me.

Thank you for the information. It appears that you have to take the top of the stove off to clean the turbulator. According to a local dealer, the F55 will be out in August. The PE t6 looks like a better way to go at this time for me.
Yes, I just downloaded the F45v2 manual and it clearly shows the turbulator in the flow and parts diagram. It's pretty slick and simple. Looks somewhat like what IronStrike has on their Montlake stoves.

Flow diagram.png parts.png

Yes, I just downloaded the F45v2 manual and it clearly shows the turbulator in the flow and parts diagram. It's pretty slick and simple.

View attachment 261321 View attachment 261320
Thanks, I read the owners manual on this stove as well. It looks like a simple design. I am not sure I like the idea of taking the top of the stove off for cleaning, but to be fair I have not seen one of these units up close or have a dealer show me the process. Jotul has a lifetime warranty on the old baffle so It will be interesting to see how they warrant the new F55.

Thanks, I read the owners manual on this stove as well. It looks like a simple design. I am not sure I like the idea of taking the top of the stove off for cleaning, but to be fair I have not seen one of these units up close or have a dealer show me the process. Jotul has a lifetime warranty on the old baffle so It will be interesting to see how they warrant the new F55.
Actually popping the top off makes cleaning easier in some circumstances.

Which Jotul had the drop in grill grate? Doubt if it makes it back for 2020, but I liked that stove and feature.

The F50, Rangeley.

Ok...Rangeley. I remember that now. F50 Rangeley, a seemingly nice stove. No idea how well it’s reviewed. Thanks!