Jet stream rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bnew63

Nov 6, 2015
BC
Hi
Been awhile since I have been here.
I have a 35yr old jet stream that I needs a rebuilt refractory base.
Does anyone have either detailed pics or actual dimensions of inside the base.
I am most interested in the tunnel between the two sides as it is the most worn away area
Also I seem to remember the stainless air pipe had a cover over half of the pipe.Anyone have a pic of the end of the pipe.
I have the stainless needles.is the refractory cement a special type or does any high heat refactory work.
THX
Brian

Hi
Been awhile since I have been here.
I have a 35yr old jet stream that I needs a rebuilt refractory base.
Does anyone have either detailed pics or actual dimensions of inside the base.
I am most interested in the tunnel between the two sides as it is the most worn away area
Also I seem to remember the stainless air pipe had a cover over half of the pipe.Anyone have a pic of the end of the pipe.
I have the stainless needles.is the refractory cement a special type or does any high heat refactory work.
THX
Brian
Somewhere on this forum I have two threads on two rebuilds ,goodluck finding them!

Reactions: salecker

Yes I found your detailed notes on the rebuild
I was hoping someone would have a close up of the zone in between the two combustion chambers
I just pulled the stainless air pipe out and noticed a slot in the pipe facing up towards the exchange tubes
Is that the way it came new?

THX again
Brian

If you keep looking at more threads you will see a picture of a complete new base and will see the positioning of the air tube .
I'm on the road and on holidays and won't be home till mid Oct or I could just take the picture out of file and send it to you.
I have one mold for making the tunnel .

Thx for the replies
I have seen most of the info out there as this is not my first search.
Just hoping for that one pic or shred of info I missed
I need to rebuild this before the end of the month so it can cure awhile
Would a complete rebuild of the base last longer than a major patch of all the worn and cracked bits

I would do a patch job using castable refractory it will last about 5 years. Letting it sit for a month will do nothing to cure the new refractory it has to cured slowly using gradual heat ,in two of my threads I have outlined this .

Yes
Took a little while to figure out how it came apart without breaking it.
I looked up a similar blower and saw the current price on a replacement,so Im glad I was able to fix it
The motor was still good after 30yrs
Trying to find a replacement stainless tube but again have no info on the type of stainless it is
Looks like type 310 is one of the more heat and corrosion resistant
But having a hard time finding it.Especially since I only really need two feet of it
Type 304 seems to be the most common
Looked through your pics again and I saw that the end of the air tube has been fabricated to make it have about half the size.
Im assuming that creates more velocity.

Will the same cement used to rebuild the base work for bonding the base to the top?

THX
Brian

Sunshine coast
I talked to them yesterday and they only had 304 stainless
I assuming that’s what you got from them
Was it still in good shape when you decommissioned the jet stream?