Jøtul C 450 Kennebec or Jøtul C 550 Rockland?? Matte Black Paint, or Blue Black Enamel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sueiris

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2009
Southern NJ
Can't take photos, and not good at doing a floor plan, but here is my info:

Home is `1840 sq feet. It is a ranch with loft & cathedral ceiling.

Lr where insert would go is 20 x 17. House built in early 80's. Fairly well insulated. Fireplace on an inside wall. (bedroom behind fireplace) Stove probably will not be used around the clock. Pretty open floor plan - living room has cathedral ceiling, open loft upstairs, dining room attached to living room. (but no cathedral ceiling there) We have a ceiling fan in the Living room.

We've pretty much decided on a Jotul insert, but I'm a little worried that the Rockland would be too big. I do understand the concept of building smaller fires in a bigger stove, though.
Fireplace is decent size - front width, 36" Hearth to top of opening, 29", Hearth to bottom of Mantle, 59" Center Depth, 21" at the bottom.

Thoughts between the two models?

Also, Matt black is cheaper...any reason to go with the Blue Black Enamel?

TIA,

Susan
South Jersey
Lots of Firewood & great Husband to cut it!
Several Labradors, 2 chickens and a cat..

Tough call. But a quick compromise given the size of the house and the fact that South NJ doesn't have the most severe winters, how about C450 in blue/black enamel? That color is positively sweet, I wish I had gotten it.

We love our c450 but I think all of the Jotul inserts are beautiful stoves. The matte black versus the other colors is more dependent on the decor of the house or room. We have the matte black but it is in semi rustic family room we thought it looked better,just our opinion. In any case I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Jøtul C 450 Kennebec or Jøtul C 550 Rockland??   Matte Black Paint, or Blue Black Enamel?
    DSCF0630.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 639
Just watch out for the porcelan finish chipping as I know someone who had a VC freestander that chipped easily.

Without a doubt I would go for the blue-black enamel. It is not the same as a majolica porcelain finish. Think of it more like a powder coating. Jotul has this down to a science. The bl/bl enamel will stay looking new, year after year with a simple dusting. Note, Hearthstone also offers this style finish on some of their products.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. I think that we are going to go with the 450. Hopefully it is enough.

Susan

The Jotul heats my 1400 sf Cape okay as a primary heat source.Depending on what you want from your stove and if the 550 will fit the opening you may want to go bigger,I doubt you will regret it. Plus the door on the rockland is one piece vs. a 2 piece on the 450 which some owners complain about. Inserts don't throw as much heat as a freestanding stove.

In regard to the finish . . . no doubt . . . blue-black. It is the one common "complaint" that many Jotul buyers have (myself included) . . . we wish we had sprung for the little bit of extra money and got the blue black finish since it's very sharp looking.

I'd also spend extra for the blu-black. It's super durable and very sharp looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.