IWB Users - Insurance Experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hiker88

Burning Hunk
Aug 3, 2011
Central Maine
Good morning everyone,

I checked in with my insurance agent last week about my plans to install a IWB and I'm wondering what your experiences have been like. I've been with the same State Farm agent for over 10 years and this is what she told me.

- I can't replace my oil burner with wood and be insured - no problem there
- Wood device has to be on own flue
- $45\year fee for having a wood burning appliance
- about another $40\year to cover the replacement cost of the system in case of loss

She said they'd come out and take pictures after the install and I'd be all set. How does that compare to your experience? It seems almost a little too easy, so I'm afraid I'm missing something. But at the same time, I don't want to look a "gift horse in the mouth". Do the rates sound reasonable?

Thank you.

That sounds just like my experience, only I had to change companies th get coverage. $75 per year more, and wood has to be your "backup" heat source. My "primary" is electric, but hasn't been used since I put the wood system in.

Pictures were taken too. Everything was fine as far as the company was concerned.

I've had Allstate for years. I called and was told no problem...end of story. Really expected more of a "hassle" but if they are Ok, so am I.

Same with me. But they never came to take pics. As long as its permitted and installed to code they just hit you with a small annual increase in the premium.

I have wayne mutual and there was no fee for a wood stove in the house.

Similar experience here, including the photos. All is well.

I have American Family. They told me there is no premium for wood burners in the house. I burned my house half up so bad we had to tear it down. It was a wood burner fire place that started it. I insured with them again and the nerve of them, They refused to give me my 5% discount for 3 years!!!!!!!
Just kidding. They were great to work with and they put their money where their mouth was. Not what I was expecting.

Insured with PEI Mutual with no hassles. Came out and quickly inspected the install of my boiler (only source of heat at the time), told me of an additional $35 annual fee and that was that. In fact with all the oil spills/leaks around these parts, oil boiler/tank installs are being scrutinized more than wood setups, and they have a $100 annual fee if your oil tank is installed outdoors, and only cover $5000 towards cleanup of an oil leak/spill, no extra fee if installed indoors though, and cleanup coverage up to the value of your policy if you have a leak.

I've got State Farm and the only thing they told me was have it inspected by the Building inspector. Since I have a combination unit (TARM Excel 2000)wood an oil use the same flue.
I don't pay anthing extra.

I have Amica in Upstate New York and I called them and advised them on my plans to install the Tarm Solo Plus 40 IWB. They just told me to insure a qualified and licensed installer was used and documented the new boiler in their system. There was no increase in premium.

I am removing a Valley Comfort wood furnace from the house and replacing it with a garn in it's own shed. insurance saving is 500 per year in B.C.

My Insurance company (Horace Mann) gave me fits when it came to my wood stove so I was ready to got to battle with them over my Tarm but they didn't even bat an eye, just asked if it was to code and if it was I was covered. I do have to say they did ask some questions when I stated that I installed it but I had Revision Heat come and look it over before I fired it and my agent was perfectly happy with that.

So times I wonder if a lot of this stuff has to do with your agent and not so much the company (ie my agent changed between he stove and the boiler).

K

Maine Mutual here, your expierences sound like mine. $45 annual charge for the Quadrafire wood stove in LR, but none for the boiler, as it's considered "backup" heat primary is electric which consists of two 8' baseboards which are set to 45::F is we leave for several days in the winter. It HAD to be on it's own flue or else we un-insureable.

TS

House insurance in Canada's most westerly province can be hit with a surcharge if your primary source of heat is wood! For us that amount is somewhere between 10% to 15% of the policy. Our insurance broker explained to us that wood can considered backup and pay no surcharge if the house has another source of heat. In our case, an electric boiler. The problem arises should a claim be made and the wood heat system is the cause. The claims adjuster will then look at the firewood stored on the property and should there be more than 4 cords of wood, at that point there is a problem. Wood is determined to be your primary source of heat. Therefore you have falsified the information on your policy. The insurance company will pay the liability side of your claim but not your loss!
Province wide there is a very small list of companies that will insure if wood is the primary source for heat. In the urban centers where there is fire protection, only a small percentage burn wood and in the rural areas where there is little fire protection, no water systems or fire hydrants is where the larger percentage of wood burning takes place so in these areas a house fire usually represents a total loss.

I installed a Vigas 80 to heat my 4 unit apt building. I live next door. The insurance co, Vermont Mutual , (for 10 yrs. no claims)was ok with OWB ( had for three yrs) so I asked about the indoor Vigas. They said that was okay also as long it met code. . After installing it, they changed the policy and would not cover me any longer, even after they came and took pictures. This is in a fireproof room built especially for the boiler and 2000 gal storage. They wanted an inspection by the fire department, which the chief said it was a great install. They still canceled. I was even willing to install fire sprinklers in the boiler room for them. I could not get anybody to touch the insurance. I tried over 20 companies. Finally, I got half the coverage for twice the money. So I am not happy, especially since I thought I had all the bases covered before installation. So I am going to let a year go by and try again for insurance. I have my old back up oil boiler still hooked up. I am in Maine if any body knows an insurance company to try.

You tru Maine Mutual? State Farm also covered me before MM, but was more expensive. Is the Vigas UL listed? I know of three landlords up here that have IWB in multiple unit apartments, ranging from Greenwoods, to Econoburns, also some....... Axman Anderson coal boilers, which are NOT listed. I can ask them if you'd like.

TS

Town I used to live in, everyone heated with wood, so it was kind expected--factored into the rates everyone paid, I suspect.

I had allstate and they dropped half of Long Island... flooding.. mean while I live on a higher elevation. Any way we switched to Nationwide and they came out for an inspection...the same time I was putting in the wood gun. Plus she saw 6 cords of firewood.. I told her what I was doing and they only asked for an invoice from the licensed installer and pictures of the completed install.

I have a fire extinguisher on the wall and installed a fire sprinkler over the unit as well. Not required but hey what the heck..

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
I have a fire extinguisher on the wall and installed a fire sprinkler over the unit as well. Not required but hey what the heck..

Same here Mike, bought some sprinkler heads on ebay, and ran pex for them in the boiler room and the garage (heated). Figured hey if a fire starts and the sprinkler doesn't go off, the pex will melt and put the fire out..... well if there were no water in it at least.

TS

Same here Mike, bought some sprinkler heads on ebay, and ran pex for them in the boiler room and the garage (heated). Figured hey if a fire starts and the sprinkler doesn't go off, the pex will melt and put the fire out..... well if there were no water in it at least.

TS
Do you have to have special sprinkler heads for a boiler room? How did you pressurize the system? Taylor it would be great if you could ask other apartment owners about insurance. Thanks, i cannot see how to do private message with this system. Call me 2075770078

I just used a regular sprinkler head (got it at the local plumbing supply house) with a fuse able link that will melt and open the head. I just have it tied into my domestic water source. That's not to code. But it's just one sprinkler, in one area. If I had to do a system to meet code it would be a different story.

I also have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
I insulated my walls and ceiling with Roxul insulation which fire retardant(almost fire proof) and put 5/8" fire rated Sheetrock.
I feel pretty safe with all that installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.