It never gets very cold in New Mexico

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Or so many think. After all, it's the desert, right?

10pm and it's 3º, heading for our first sub-zero night of the season. Nice and toasty inside, thanks to the Quad.

Its 13 degrees here and blowing 40 mph...wanna trade? :)

I've always wanted to see NM.

I lived in NM for 4 years had a trailer home with a fireplace used it in the winter alot. Had to go up into the mountains to cut wood.

Frostbit said:
Its 13 degrees here and blowing 40 mph...wanna trade? :)
I've always wanted to see NM.

Sure, let's trade, Frostbit! I'd love to visit Alaska. But 40mph winds - hmmm... :)

Yup, 35-40º daily temp swings are normal.

7 a.m. and it's -3 in Gallup, NM. Balloon rally here this a.m.--hate to be holding one of those balloons open while they blow air into it--that'd be a wind chill of about...-40 or so!

I think I am reincarnated. I could swear I froze to death one night in Ruidoso.

precaud said:
Or so many think. After all, it's the desert, right?

10pm and it's 3º, heading for our first sub-zero night of the season. Nice and toasty inside, thanks to the Quad.

So, what's a cord of wood run you in New Mexico?

Hey Gallup, a little late in the season for ballooning, isn't it? You guys always seem to have more wind than we do.

We just bottomed at -7º. Quite a little cold snap.

NMman said:
7 a.m. and it's -3 in Gallup, NM. Balloon rally here this a.m.--hate to be holding one of those balloons open while they blow air into it--that'd be a wind chill of about...-40 or so!

You got THAT right! Been there done that in Alb and C. Springs in below zero am temps. Those packing fans can generate 50 mph winds and are not my idea of fun so I changed jobs and managed the crown line. When they lit the burners, THEN I wished I'd stayed at the mouth. FUN!

BrowningBAR said:
So, what's a cord of wood run you in New Mexico?

Mine's free. But prices are definitely down this year, craigslist prices are well below $200 a cord for pine/cedar.

BrotherBart said:
I think I am reincarnated. I could swear I froze to death one night in Ruidoso.

Yes, I remember seeing your body in the parking lot. That Thunderbird is nasty stuff... :)

Gallup's balloon rally-- http://www.redrockballoonrally.com/ --has always been in December. It's usually wickedly cold in the a.m., but that makes for good flying! My wife and I used to help out quite a bit, and had a friend who flew a lot--now we just go and watch.

Wood? mine's free also. (Well $20 for a 5-cord permit in the national forest.) That with a bit of elm that I scrounge seems to be plenty for a winter.

Thunderbird and cold weather don't mix. I had a personal experience with this myself a few weeks ago in october--when we had a night at 12F. Found a "sleeping" man by our post office at 7 a.m. He wasn't sleeping.

Got to get to school...

tp

Status
Not open for further replies.