It Boggles The Mind...Tree Has GOT To Come Down !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Something is eating one of my oak trees. Carpenter ants are abounding in & out of this tree. I anticapate more trees to follow.

To the left of "The Beast" (yes, guys & gals, I moved the truck !!!!!)

08_28_3.jpg

08_28_13.jpg

08_28_6.jpg

08_28_5.jpg

08_28_4.jpg

The beauty of this is that the power lines coming into the house are behind this tree, with the cable & phone lines coming infront of it (attached to both corners of the house) and LIPA has a policy of maintaining the tree issues of their lines,to insure power to the house. Ofcourse, if we get a good storm, this thing could take out the lines on the street, and the transformer, depending on which way it comes down.

Bad side of this is that it could take out half of Chez Dixie if it goes the other way
4-thatsbad.gif

I talked to LIPA yesterday. Supposedly they are taking it down, and trimming the trees on the road to keep the lines clear. The sad part of this is that their policy is to leave the clean up of any tree trimming/downing up to the home owner
happy0194.gif

They "site check" with in 3-5 business days, arrive to trim with in 2 weeks
trinken030.gif
They will cut ithe infected oak down just below the incoming power line, then leave the rest
happy0005.gif

We're gonna be
umaka2.gif

Tree has to be atleast 60 - 75 feet tall. Any thoughts as to the amount of wood that I'll get out of this?

Try and kill the ants before they move to anther tree or the house. Im thinking maybe 2 to 2 1/2 cords in that tree. Make sure they dont throw the limbs in the chipper Some of these chippers will take a ten inch round and eat up all that free heat. Good luck.
And please move that nice truck Before the ants eat through the tree :lol:

Sounds like good news for you :) Someone else doing a difficult fell, probably with cherry pickers or climbing the tree and carefully limbing and felling the trunk in place - should be a good days entertainment for you :)

As for wood volume, it's a cylinder with different radii for base and top of trunk. A normal cylinder volume = pi*r*r*h (where r=radius and h=height) but you need to average the top and bottom surface areas and then * height. So, I would estimate the height of the tree to say a 6" trunk diamter, take off a couple of feet for the stump they will leave, and do this:

( (3.14159 * base radius * base radius) + (3.14159 * 0.25 * 0.25) ) / 2 * height
=1.5708 * (base radius * base radius + 0.0625) * height
=cubic feet in tree (roughly)
/128 to find how many cords or part thereof :)

Have fun!

p.s. If the base of that tree is 18" as per my guess, and if it's 60 feet to a 6" diameter as per my guess if it's 65-70' tall overall, then I estimate: 60 cubic feet or 1/2 a cord.
If the base of the tree is 24" then I estimate 100 cubic feet of wood or almost a cord.

NB I haven't allowed for the loose stacking space in a cord, so you could probably multiply those numbers by 30%, eg if the tree base is 18" then 2/3 a cord, if tree base is 2' then a full cord.

I read somewhere that a tree 22" in diameter measured waist high will yield 1 full cord.

Yep. It will stack out at around a half cord.

If the truck is a 6.0 Diesel I say leave it there you might be better off :lol:

It's gas, Strug, it's gas *insert whoops up side the head * :p to me.

LIPA tree guy called me Friday at work, called the work # and asked if I was home :bug: , it went bad from there :smirk: He couldn't get out of his car, because there were to many trees to tell the differance as to which one it was (Uhmm, it's the oak, out of the 2 trees, and it's the one that's being eaten, not the pine !)

So I've surveyered taped the 2 trees. And will call them back as per HIS instructions next week. So the same inspecdor can check the trees again, and see if it follows in LIPA's guidelines :coolmad:

Bureacracy is the only constant in the universe.

Update... all the trees are down. LIPA took out the ones on the power lines (pine & apple), but not the incoming power line by the oak tree.

So, thru my neighbor, who had a tree taken down this spring, I hooked up with a friend of his starting out in a new business after working for someone for years. Have bucket truck, will travel, I guess :) Turns out I used to date his Uncle, and went to school with a slew of his relatives ;-)

To dark for pics, but WOWZA, what a difference in light to the house,, when I got home !! It looks alot bigger on the ground than it did up in the air. He also trimmed some branches up high off of neighboring trees, leaving the canopy intact *whew*. I'll get pics in the AM.

I have plenty of kindling, that's for sure !

Oh, anyone on the Island needs a tree guy, PM me. Jessie took the tree & branches down for $200
pimp.gif

Oh, almost forgot, at that price, you have to clean up the mess, and take the rest of it down, he cut it below the power line:)

Status
Not open for further replies.