Isle Royale burning too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmaster17327

Hearth Supporter
I installed a used Isle Royale in my cabin/future home, I was there for the week over Thanksgiving and whenever I used more than two pieces of wood the temps would go really high. Stovetop temps maxed out my thermometer at 850 and stovepipe temps where around 550, I had the air the whole way closed and the temps would just not stay down. I did notice that their was about a three inch piece of the seal missing on the top load door could that be causing the problem? what is a safe running temp?

A faulty gasket can definitely cause a lot of problems. You might also check to be sure the start up air control is not being left open.

Very good. How tall is the entire flue system on this stove? Also, are you burning fairly large splits in the stove?

When you get back to the stove, first start with a thorough gasket check. Missing gaskets must be replaced. Check the lid, doors, ash pan gaskets. Make sure they are all there and pass the dollar bill test. Repair or replace as needed. If the stove is fairly old I would get a complete kit and replace them all. Use a good gasket adhesive and follow directions.

If that doesn't make a large difference then I would look at the startup air assembly. This assembly can fail and leak in an older stove. I would pull the rear center bricks and take a look at the ASBM for any holes. This thread may be of some assistance.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/72644/

The chimney is about 16 feet tall and is 8 inch square, it is not tall enough because the chimney is below the height of the addition that was built onto the house. When I start the stove I have to leave the stove door cracked because if I close them even with the atart up air the fire will smoother out, I have to wait until the fire is really going good befor I can shut the stove door. I will look online to see if I can find the gasket kit.

What sort of wood are you burning in the stove?

pen

Someone told me it was ash but I do not know for sure, The tree was dead and laying on/through the roof of the house for about six years befor I bought the place and cut the tree up. It has been cut and split under a porch roof for about two years

Just wanted to make sure we weren't talking hardwood pallets or lumber here. That wood should be fine so long as you aren't packing the stove w/ very small splits of very dry hardwood.

That chimney doesn't sound like it should be causing over drafting either.

Definitely sounds like you have an air leak like you were suspicious of.

pen

This is my fourth season with my Quadra Fire Isle Royale and I think it is a very controllable workhorse heater. You should not need to have the door open when starting on a cold night (<40C). Just use the start air and full open on the air control. If your stove is not controllable after start up, then it most likely has a gasket leak. Some folks suggest using a dollar bill to check the gasket seals. A good seal will not let the bill slide freely. You can get the gasket and glue at a large hardware store or online. Glue it on. It doesn't have to be exactly the same size. My stove heats 2400 feet nicely. The family loves the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.