Is this worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog

Feb 16, 2012
eastern pa
Hi, new here I would like to put a pellet stove in this summer (englander) Now the hard part I live in a ranch 1 floor, basement, crawl space. the only place i can put the stove is in the living room on the wall that has the garage behind it so that means the vent pipe would go threw the wall into the garage then up 6' a 90 degree angle then horizontal 23' inside the garage then out the side wall. This is the only location this will work in. the reason is large bay window in living-room, dining room is too small and there is a sliding door that leads to the deck and going up to the roof will take alot of 90s 45s and what not to reach the rear roof. is this worth it or is there some outer way that I'm no seeing to do this? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and where the vent will exit the outside wall there is a large vent by the peak to vent the crawlspace. THANKS

I'm fairly new to pellet stove but I'm going to say that I don't think there's any way that that will work. Besides you'll have more money invested in pipe than you'll pay for the stove! Why not just go up through the ceiling?

hotdog said:
Hi, new here I would like to put a pellet stove in this summer (englander) Now the hard part I live in a ranch 1 floor, basement, crawl space. the only place i can put the stove is in the living room on the wall that has the garage behind it so that means the vent pipe would go threw the wall into the garage then up 6' a 90 degree angle then horizontal 23' inside the garage then out the side wall. This is the only location this will work in. the reason is large bay window in living-room, dining room is too small and there is a sliding door that leads to the deck and going up to the roof will take alot of 90s 45s and what not to reach the rear roof. is this worth it or is there some outer way that I'm no seeing to do this? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and where the vent will exit the outside wall there is a large vent by the peak to vent the crawlspace. THANKS

Are you open to a fireplace insert?

hotdog said:

EVL is way out of line and the stove will burn like you breath when completely stuffed up by the worst cold you ever had very poorly.

Post a floor plan and the folks here may be able to help.

Are you sure you aren't at my house?
I have a large ranch and the family room is a converted garage. I went out the side wall, into the current garage and up 20ish feet and out the roof.
The stove has been a huge boon for us as the family room cost a fortune to heat with oil. I'm still working on getting heat throughout the rest of the house, but my kitchen is comfortable, so I've definitely shut down a zone of heat.
Going up was a bit expensive, I think I spent $800 on venting, but has been well worth it.

Of all the houses styles out there, I would have to think a pellet stove would be the best in a 1 story ranch with crawlspace.
Often you read on here about people trying to heat their house with a stove in the basement, but not getting good results because its hard to move the hot air.
The same goes with people trying to heat their two story home, but the upstairs is never warm enough.
I think it'd definitely be worth it if you can find a way. Going through the roof sounds like it might be your best bet.

As was mentioned above, that install will not work, or at the very least, for very long. That LONG horizontal section will fill-up with ash in no time.

Besides, with an EVL of 34, even going to 4" pipe won't work.

Why not just go through the wall into the garage, and then straight up through the roof (or is there a room above it)?

Thanks for the replies, If I go straight up that will put the vent on the front roof street side not what I want and to get to the rear of the roof your still looking at about 20' with 3 90s. So that would be 9' vertical 9' horizontal and 6' vertical again I think that's pretty close. or am I missing something? I will try to get some floor plans up if I can figure out how too. As for the cost for the pipe I'm not to concerned with that because 533 dollars for 150 gallons of oil each month is well worth the extra cost.

You have to pay attention to what the stove needs, failure to do so can at the very best result in extra cleaning and at the worst bye, bye house.

hotdog said:
Thanks for the replies, If I go straight up that will put the vent on the front roof street side not what I want and to get to the rear of the roof your still looking at about 20' with 3 90s. So that would be 9' vertical 9' horizontal and 6' vertical again I think that's pretty close. or am I missing something? I will try to get some floor plans up if I can figure out how too. As for the cost for the pipe I'm not to concerned with that because 533 dollars for 150 gallons of oil each month is well worth the extra cost.

That's still an EVL of about 29.....VERY marginal, even for 4" pipe, IMO.

Is there any other location in the house that the stove can be put?? The location you have now is NOT good.

Going back to my suggestion of going straight up through the garage roof.....if it's the looks that bother you, the pipe could be painted black or some color to kinda match the roof.

I guess the question here is, what's more important.....being warm w/o spending a fortune on oil, or a small pipe coming through the roof and being warm & having more $$ in your pocket each month???

Up and out, you can get a fake brick chimney to go around the metal chimney. I have one on my prefab. No one has ever mentioned that it looked like anything other than a masonry chimney. It has been up there about 25 years.

hotdog said:

Are you sure you're not overestimating how "bad" the pipe will look from the front side of your roof? Paint the pipe with flat black hi-temp paint and it's really no big deal at all, looks like a plumbing vent (okay, it sticks up higher than a plumbing vent) - but it's not bad at all. My wife was all worried about what ours would look like, it comes out of the roof right above our deck area - but heck, that was back in 2004 and she's never even mentioned it or looked at it since :)

Yep, that is a good looking install - and it's on the front side of the roof. It blends in and looks just fine.

bcb1 said:
hotdog said:

Are you sure you're not overestimating how "bad" the pipe will look from the front side of your roof? Paint the pipe with flat black hi-temp paint and it's really no big deal at all, looks like a plumbing vent (okay, it sticks up higher than a plumbing vent) - but it's not bad at all. My wife was all worried about what ours would look like, it comes out of the roof right above our deck area - but heck, that was back in 2004 and she's never even mentioned it or looked at it since :)

Well I took a ride around my development and to my surprise I found 3 homes with vents on the front roof that I never noticed before. 90% of the homes are set up like mine except for some inside floor plans one car garages etc. So I'm going to go threw the wall then up in the garage now can I put the oak in the garage or will that be a problem with fresh air? also should I put a 90 or a clean-out T before I go up threw the garage ceiling.

Why not just go straight up, instead of out to the garage first?

Don't need, but will want for cleaning purposes.

Actually now that you mention it, it would be wiser to have the cleanout in the garage if it don't add too much EVL.

Status
Not open for further replies.