Is this wood ok to burn in fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ok to burn?

• Total voters

socalBurner

Jan 5, 2017
California
Is this wood in the picture below ok to burn in a fireplace? We had a few fires and have already used up a bit of it, but after one night when it overpowered the chimney a bit, I did some reading and looked at the wood and I am now very concerned. We also live in a large city.

A family member insists on continuing to use up and burn this wood in the home fireplace and says its fine. I would gladly replace it with actual firewood bundles but they don't want to. They referred me to to this statement that says its ok to burn: burning lumber scraps? . Am I being unreasonable or overly cautious?

I probably wouldn't burn the plywood, as it does contain glue. Will it cause problems? Probably not, but the fumes outside could be an issue.

Nope, press board which has glue in it. Wouldn't burn it....

You are not being unreasonable and apparently the only one with any sense.I wouldn't burn it as it will cause a rather large and hard to control inferno with the glues in it. Be a good way to ignite a chimney fire...

I might use some of the scrap pieces for kindling but would steer away from the particle board and plywood, unless I had absolutely no other options.
The glue is questionable to burn to begin with, but plywood and particle board will burn ridiculously fast and hot. In this cold snap, it would be extremely hard to control, especially in a fireplace.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
I burn plywood and OSB all the time.

Burning OSB is often regulated and/or prohibited. You should check your current local regulations.

For example, and a bit dated (from 2009), so not sure if it is current law :

The Georgia Environmental Protection Division and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency do have regulations already in place to prohibit burning of OSB (oriented strand board, widely used in commercial and home construction industries,) and other types of treated wood waste.

I would pass on burning any OSB or plywood due to the glue . . . but I burn dimensional lumber (2 x 4, 2 x 6, pine boards, etc.) all the time -- mostly as kindling.