Is this wild black cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dajolu

Nov 27, 2023
New York
I think I have identified this tree in my yard as a wild black cherry. I’m interested in harvesting the fruit and maybe making a Jam or Pie. I would like to get some opinions before I try eating the fruit though.
1721832971278.jpeg
1721832947484.jpeg
1721832917897.jpeg
1721832893714.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: patrickk222
I'd say yes. I have a few in my yard. Don't know about eating the fruit?

Reactions: Dajolu
Yes. ANd I've never eaten the fruit.
The birds get there before I could. I'm not sure how sweet they are tho.

Reactions: Dajolu
I will vote choke cherry, though I am not very familiar with that variety. Anyway, the bark does not look like black cherry, to me.

Don't think it's choke cherry. I have those in Utah. They grow pretty knarly scaly bark even with the small trees which have usually twisted trunks and they don't get very big at my elevation (5,250Ft). They also seem to grow in clumps of smaller diameter trees.

Ok I came across this :

I think I’m pretty confident I have a black cherry after reading that. He goes into the difference between black cherry and choke cherry,

I eat some black cherries every year. My wife thinks they are awful. I think they are fine. Not very sweet, somewhat astringent. I think if they are cooked some of the astringency might go away. I just eat them off the tree, so I have never made jam or anything.

Now i'm gonna go out and try some black cherries.