Is this safe for occasional use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rwd

Sep 27, 2018
AZ
Hello,
I have a circa 1983 or so Superior SP38 "stoveplace" I believe it's the traditional model, or SP-38T. Everything seems to be in decent shape, minus the firebox. We had a chimney sweep clean the chimney, and he didn't mention the box. It was before we moved in. As I look at the manual I found online, it appears it should have refractory panels. This has aftermarket fire bricks on the floor and metal panels screws into the back and side. 1. Does anyone know if this came with panels, or are the sheets of metal normal? Also, would you use it for an occasional fire? The back panel has a big indent and there is a gap between it and the thinner sheet metal. I worry fire could get through that gap. I do plan on cleaning it a little better, the chimney looks clean, the box still has ash and creosote in it.
Is this safe for occasional use?Is this safe for occasional use?Is this safe for occasional use?Is this safe for occasional use?

Thanks,
Robert.

If the fireplace is designed with refractory panels it should be burned with refractory panels in place.