Is this repairable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smdecat

Dec 17, 2019
Delaware
Hello all new to the forums. I was just looking for some advice regarding an issue im
Having with my pre fab fireplace chimney. We recently had a cleaning and they inspected it with a camera as well and found what they call a “pick”. Essentially a small gap where embers and gas can escape into the surrounding area. I am able to reach the area and thought I could pound the gap in the liner back in with a hammer but I can’t really get any leverage or really see where I am hammering. My second thought was to fill the gap with furnace cement since I can feel the gap and reach it. Does this seem like a safe reliable option? The only other option seems to be not using or replacement which is not something I can do financially at this point. Just wanted to get some insight on help. I have included a picture of the issue. Thank you
Is this repairable?

Last edited:
I'm confused at something that seems out of place in a prefab chimney. It looks like regular stainless liner. If so, there may be a more serious issue. It looks like the liner sections are not joined properly there. The little hole appears to be for the screw or rivet to pass through. Was there any mention of this? Is there evidence that the liner joined correctly at all other joints?

When you say pre-fab, do you know the make and model of the pre-fab?

Well I’m not 100% sure of the original manufacturer. Apparently the manufacturer is no longer around but they are essentially these Superior ones. But here is the link to essentially my fireplace. https://www.efireplacestore.com/sup...2tlg1LEAQYAiABEgJSw_D_BwE&refnum=Dec-288-0054

it seems like it was original to the house which was built in 1990. They told me about the rivet hole I was hoping to cover that up with the furnace cement. Thanks for your help

The odd thing is that ZC fireplaces have chimney pipe with sections that are not riveted together. They usually twist lock. A rivet hole is more of a characteristic of a single-wall stainless liner which isn't used on zc fireplaces. Not sure why that is showing in the fireplace flue system. Maybe bholler has seen this before?

Yeah I don't know something certainly doesn't look right there. I would want to pull the chase cover and get in there to inspect it

The rest of the inspection with the camera was fine and ran from the bottom to the top. The only issue was the one I posted. No other rivet holes. In fact I really don’t recall seeing any rivets at all. Can you explain what a ZC fireplace is?

The rest of the inspection with the camera was fine and ran from the bottom to the top. The only issue was the one I posted. No other rivet holes. In fact I really don’t recall seeing any rivets at all. Can you explain what a ZC fireplace is?
A zero clearance fireplace is a prefab unit with a specified chimney that goes into a wood framed structure

Ah yeah that’s what it is. So you are saying that you think it’s like a flue liner in there and not a standard metal chimney? Like you wrote on your post it is not a masonry chimney. It is wood framed

Ah yeah that’s what it is. So you are saying that you think it’s like a flue liner in there and not a standard metal chimney? Like you wrote on your post it is not a masonry chimney. It is wood framed
No It looks like an air cooled metal chimney like most of these have. But that kink and hole are problematic