Is this normal for a woodburning insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

adisb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Michigan
I have looked into reasons for which my JOTUL 550 Rockland doesn't have a long burn time and as I was toying around with a lit candle around the insert I noticed that there is a draft on the upper part of the door when the door is shut. It is almost like there is air being sucked in all across the upper part of the door; so I am thinking that it may have something to do with the fact that my burn times are low - too much oxigen getting into the firebox.

Is this normal?

THanks in advance.

Perform the dollar bill test to verify your findings. That is: close the door on a dollar bill and see if there is any resistance to the dollar being pulled out. There should be some resistance. If not, it sounds like a door adjustment is in order. Or possibly the gasket needs to be looked at.

Edit: try the dollar bill in many different places along the door. You may find a common "theme" such as a tilt or warp or whatever.

thanks, I'll give this a try..BTW, this is brand new insert...just about 4-5 weeks old...wouldn't expect issues already or from the start.

adisb said:
thanks, I'll give this a try..BTW, this is brand new insert...just about 4-5 weeks old...wouldn't expect issues already or from the start.

It is not completely uncommon for a new stove to need a door adjustment. Some stoves have door options (as an example) and the stove may not of even had the door on it when shipped.

You wouldnt expect it to be needed, but its happened before on new stoves and inserts. If you find the door is not sealing properly, let the dealer know. They "should" come back and regasket the door for free and test it before leaving to make sure it's sealing like it should be.

I bought my insert used and I wasn't happy with the burn times either. After adjusting the door gasket and replacing the bay window seals my burn times have increased and the fire is much more controllable.

I too was examining the Rockland. I am not happy with the burn times on this stove. The air being sucked in is not through your door. Take a look at the plate that the primary air slider is located in. On the bottom edge, just above the door there are small passage ways. I am guessing this is for the secondary air tubes, and is not controllable. To me, it seems that there is too much air entering this stove, even with the primary air all the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.