Is this installation up to code (just kidding)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Apr 7, 2017
Southeastern CT
Pretty amazing what people do. He starts talking the details of his installation at about 3 minutes, after he finishes talking about how romantic it is to have a wood stove installed in his van.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've seen worse. At least he's upfront about the downsides and his mistakes. Now for a real tight install, try a Volvo.

Is this installation up to code (just kidding)

Reactions: charger4406
If you go to Youtube and search, there seems to be thousands of these types of wood stoves in van videos (and tiny houses, and narrow boats, etc, etc etc).

I am old enough to remember when living in a van was the worse possible outcome in life....

Now, many of the current younger generation (mostly under 30) actually wants live in a van down by the river (and have a youtube channel all about it)..... I am not judging. Just thinking how interesting about the way social attitudes change in short time frames these days. :cool:

If you go to Youtube and search, there seems to be thousands of these types of wood stoves in van videos (and tiny houses, and narrow boats, etc, etc etc).

I am old enough to remember when living in a van was the worse possible outcome in life....

Now, many of the current younger generation (mostly under 30) actually wants live in a van down by the river (and have a youtube channel all about it)..... I am not judging. Just thinking how interesting about the way social attitudes change in short time frames these days. :cool:

You make an interesting observation.

I suppose it's backlash from growing up in a mcmansion, watching your parents work like dogs to try to impress a bunch of people they don't even like with a bunch of space and stuff they don't even use, doing their best to burn up your future with their now.

You make an interesting observation.

I suppose it's backlash from growing up in a mcmansion, watching your parents work like dogs to try to impress a bunch of people they don't even like with a bunch of space and stuff they don't even use, doing their best to burn up your future with their now.
What were they running from in the 60s? Lots of vans around then.

Does a vehicle skin count as a combustible?

What were they running from in the 60s? Lots of vans around then.
Mobile beds and toking lounges.

There's always been a strong desire among some offspring to revolt against their parents' values. The van was a cool new mode of transportation back then.

The difference now is the pervasive, conspicuous, and hugely wasteful consumption that so many embrace today. Maybe covid threw the brakes on that a little bit. Probably only a speed bump.

And don't get me wrong, once these young van adults become parents themselves, they'll undoubtedly become exactly like their parents.

The real big difference is cheap and widely available cameras and social media.

I would think that the stove would get bad air leaks / cracks really quickly from the vehicle bouncing around, interesting idea though! Hopefully it continues to work out for him

I would think that the stove would get bad air leaks / cracks really quickly from the vehicle bouncing around, interesting idea though! Hopefully it continues to work out for him
I didn't think about that part. Boat stoves must have solved this problem.

And you thought your short flue had draft reversal problems. Try burning while your house is doing 90mph on I80.
Dude, in jersey to lay low, you do 80 on Rt80, anything more or less raises suspicion.

Actually it would be billowing out of the "chimney" since the venturi effect would depressurize the pipe and really extract smoke.

I feel like experimentation is required. With video!
It's the same way the old "road pipe" crank case ventilation used to work. Also how motorcycle helmets ventilate.

It's the same way the old "road pipe" crank case ventilation used to work. Also how motorcycle helmets ventilate.

I have had a fair number of helmets over the years and never figured out what the top vent was for. I can't tell much difference with the top vent open or closed (and in the winter, I often really want some more airflow to reduce fogging).

I am slightly alarmed to report that not only did this conversation led me to Google for motorcycle-mounted woodstoves, but also that I found one...

I think, anyway

I have had a fair number of helmets over the years and never figured out what the top vent was for. I can't tell much difference with the top vent open or closed (and in the winter, I often really want some more airflow to reduce fogging).

I am slightly alarmed to report that not only did this conversation led me to Google for motorcycle-mounted woodstoves, but also that I found one...

I think, anyway
That is pretty amazing. The ventilation is mostly achieved through the vents on the back of the helmet. Air moving over them creates an area of low pressure and the air getting into the helmet from the outside rushes in to replace the "in helmet" air as it is pulled out by the "venturi effect". Some helmets are better than others in this regard, but it is also the way a wind blowing over a chimney can increase draft.

I also just found a YouTube video with 1.7 million views entitled "A Woodstove So Good They Made It Illegal", and when you get past the title it is a guy making a barrel stove out of steel drums.

I guess the threat of a mysterious "they" forbidding you to do stupid chit makes it seem less stupid?

Reactions: SpaceBus