Is this flue connection OK?

• Thread starter Thread starter mhrischuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhrischuk

A neighbor showed me his install. I looked at the back and saw all of the things he didn't do that I learned here. The most important are hearth protection and the flue connection. He's addressing the floor protection but I was wondering about this. He simply bent the liner directly into the back of the stove. Is that OK?

It's Quadrafire Yosemite.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Is this flue connection OK?
    flue_90.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 273
how did he secure it to the stove?

pen

Looks like its got some sort of band and screws. I'll have to look again.

I just talked to him on the phone. He said the stove shop supplied some sort of band device that fastens the liner to the back of the stove. He said it seems to work well and is easy to remove and replace when cleaning the chimney.

By the sounds of it, it's most likely attached w/ the appropriate piece that they'd use for an insert. But not 100% sure w/out seeing it.

The only real concern that I would have is the 90 is a place for creosote / soot to accumulate. I'd make certain it is cleaned a couple times a heating season.

pen

Thanks pen. I was really curious because I assumed you needed a tee for a horizontal exit. I haven't seen a horizontal install like this here on Hearth.com

I learned something in this thread. I wasn't sure if you could use the flex liner like that. All of my liners connect to pipe and then to the stove.

A Tee is better for that type of install, but a regular appliance connector is also approved for most liner systems. As long as he has an adapter clamped onto the end and then screwed into the stove collar he's OK. Personally I prefer tees because they're easier to clean.

He bought the stove three years ago from the same shop I'm dealing with. He said the one he wanted was a three month wait so he bought the floor model. The guy sold him the stove and the stuff for the liner but I think he assumed it was going deep in the firebox using the vertical exit. So my buddy installs it horizontal but rightly so because, unbeknownst to him, you get more heat that way.

So I'm gonna help him replace his gaskets, repair his door latch that's got a groove worn in it, and give him my extra Roxul... we'll stuff his smoke chamber.

I'll weld the groove in the door latch and grind it back flat. A new door handle assy is $69 plus freight.

One thing I'm finding is parts for wood stoves are way high.

mhrischuk said:
One thing I'm finding is parts for wood stoves are way high.

Yes, I am finding that to be the case with nearly every manufacturer.

I got tired of trying to get the tee attached to the liner down the tiles to the basement thimble and just took it off and carefully turned the liner 90 degrees into the thimble. Five years ago and it still is working just fine. Member Todd did the same thing.

Though for cleaning purposes he later installed a tee. Mine. I sent it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.