Is this chimney above the roof line acceptable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Just bought this house and I am getting ready to install a Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid stove. Already figured out that the square ceiling support where the DVL pipe will go is a disaster because it is too close to the back wall and the drywall goes all the way up to the penetration. Now, I am wondering about the chimney that is above the roof.

My guess is that it is probably a good thing the previous owners never installed a stove in this Duratch HT piping. I can resolve the ceiling support box somewhat easily. Not sure about the roof penetration though.

What says those of you with experience in this?

Attachments

• Is this chimney above the roof line acceptable?
    20200114_133930.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 178
    20200114_135212.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 169
    20200114_135225.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 164
Will need to measure from the side dormer and main roof to get to the 10-3-2 rule. Looks like you'll be adding a length(s) of pipe from this perspective.

Attachments

download.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 104
No, not close to being ok. 10-3-2 rule not honored. Was this setup for wood? Looks like it might have been for a pellet stove.

DVL needs 6" from any combustible. How close is the stove pipe opening in the chimney support to the drywall? Looks like it might be more than 6".

Last edited:
Dented class A, mashed storm collar, exposed nail heads on flashing plus goop means I would probably rip all of that out and throw it in the woods. Start over. You could probably save the cap.

Reactions: iLoveWood
No, not close to being ok. 10-3-2 rule not honored. Was this setup for wood? Looks like it might have been for a pellet stove.

DVL needs 6" from any combustible. How close is the stove pipe opening in the chimney support to the drywall? Looks like it might be more than 6".

Not sure what it was set up for. It has never been used. The interior of the chimney is clean as can be.

The opening on the square ceiling support is just over 5" from the drywall on the back wall. Guessing that once I put in DVL it is going to be even closer than the opening because of the thickness of the DVL.

Dented class A, mashed storm collar, exposed nail heads on flashing plus goop means I would probably rip all of that out and throw it in the woods. Start over. You could probably save the cap.

I think that is what is going to happen, a complete redo of this garbage. I understand the 10-3-2 rule and think I am going to need one heck of a chimney on the roof because of the proximity of that dormer. What a mess.

I think that is what is going to happen, a complete redo of this garbage. I understand the 10-3-2 rule and think I am going to need one heck of a chimney on the roof because of the proximity of that dormer. What a mess.
Take time to think about the stove location and other possible options in the house. Would they be more ideal?

Reactions: Highbeam
Take time to think about the stove location and other possible options in the house. Would they be more ideal?

This stove is going in a detached garage with 1,500 sf of finished space. Garage is 45 x 28 with two garage bays that are 24x28 deep. The 2nd level has a bedroom, small kitchen, etc in it. The lower level, which is 21 x 20 (utility room with the furnace, air handler, and water heater is behind the back wall where the stove is going) is what I will be using almost every day as my office. I will have a "conference room" upstairs where the kitchen, living room, etc. is. There is no other place to put this stove in the lower level. Just changing up the run of pipe would require some significant changes upstairs and the upstairs is cramped for free space. With that said, I am still going to explore re-routing the stove pipe.