Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KG19

May 15, 2022
SW Wisconsin
I’m in my first year, and burning some wood that is a little over 20% moisture because it’s all I have at this point. I had the chimney cleaned early December and have probably used it for 6 weeks. I checked the pipe today just to see how it looks but I wanted to see if more experienced wood burners can tell me how this looks and if I can safely keep burning for another month or 2. First two photos are the chimney liner and the third is the stovepipe. Thanks in advance!

Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?

Looks like it may be getting gnarly at the top. I would clean it.

Reactions: Tar12
It doesn't hurt to clean it. It might hurt not to clean it.

I’d clean really soon.

I'd run a sooteater up it. It'll take 5 minutes once you take it apart.

Reactions: Tar12
Do you have a way to clean yourself? I'd look into having a way to clean and do it often to get an idea of how long you can go. Better to err on the cleaning too often than having a problem.

Reactions: BillBurns
It needs cleaned...invest in a sooteater...it appears that you can do this yourself...its not hard to do.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t currently have a soot eater but have been thinking of getting one… I’m a bit nervous to try it by myself though. Any advice? I was thinking tape plastic over the chimney opening and cut a small hole for the soot eater to go through. I’m also not sure the exact height of my chimney so not sure how long I would need to get attachments for. Also expecting a baby in the next couple weeks so not sure I’ll even have time to do it, might just have to wait to use the stove again until next year.

Post some pictures of how this pipe is connected to your stove and we can better advise...it truly is a very simple process ...it appears that your pipe runs straight up with no elbows? This is the easiest system of all to clean with a sooteater...and you will save yourself time and money and not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself...we can walk you right through this!

Here’s a picture of my setup. It’s not a straight shot, there is an elbow in the stovepipe. I took it apart when I took the pictures. I was thinking I would tape thick plastic sheet over the hole in the wall and insert the soot eater through a little hole in it. And take the stove pipe section outside to clean it. I also included a picture of the outside chimney. I’m sure it’s impossible to tell from the picture how tall it is though… I’m thinking like 35 of so?

Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?

Piece of cake! They make 18ft-40 ft kits...

It is relatively easy to do! I do mine once mid season and once at the end of the season. Could get by with just one end of season cleaning but as my wife didn't grow up with wood stoves it affords her a little piece of mind and that is worth a half hour of my time any day! I also just run my hepa filter vacuum and set it on the floor by the insert when I do the cleaning. Any particles that make it past the plastic curtain they get sucked up pretty quick! I have a small lot and it takes a lot to get my wood under 20%. I figure some of the stuff I burn is a little over 20% so I run some pallet scraps with it to help dry it out!

Here’s a picture of my setup. It’s not a straight shot, there is an elbow in the stovepipe. I took it apart when I took the pictures. I was thinking I would tape thick plastic sheet over the hole in the wall and insert the soot eater through a little hole in it. And take the stove pipe section outside to clean it. I also included a picture of the outside chimney. I’m sure it’s impossible to tell from the picture how tall it is though… I’m thinking like 35 of so?

View attachment 309200View attachment 309202
Is the stove on the main floor or in the basement?

Stove is on the main floor. So my next question is, if I clean it from the main floor will everything drop down to bottom of the pipe in the basement? (Picture of that below). When it’s swept by the pros, they do it on the main floor and don’t go in the basement, but they have a shop vac running while they sweep it. Could I sweep it from the basement if I wanted? I actually don’t even know which of those pipes is the stove liner though, and I’d need an extra 10-15 feet worth of rods
Is this a safe amount of buildup to continue using the stove?

If on the main floor, I would estimate the length closer to 28-30'. Does the chimney liner end in a capped tee at the thimble? If so, it would be cleaned through the thimble.

If on the main floor, I would estimate the length closer to 28-30'. Does the chimney liner end in a capped tee at the thimble? If so, it would be cleaned through the thimble.
Shoot I didn’t look down when I had the pipe off, only up. I might have to check that again then. I was thinking probably not since it seems the liner extends all the way to the basement, but there could be a cap there too maybe?

Shoot I didn’t look down when I had the pipe off, only up. I might have to check that again then. I was thinking probably not since it seems the liner extends all the way to the basement, but there could be a cap there too maybe?
Yes, that could be the case. If there is not an end cap on the liner, there should be.

Yes, that could be the case. If there is not an end cap on the liner, there should be.
You mean if there isn’t a cap just below the thimble, that there should be? Is that something you think should have been mentioned by the company that inspected our system a little over a year ago when we moved in? I’m thinking there isn’t one, though I didn’t take a close look downward, so I should double check it.

You mean if there isn’t a cap just below the thimble, that there should be? Is that something you think should have been mentioned by the company that inspected our system a little over a year ago when we moved in? I’m thinking there isn’t one, though I didn’t take a close look downward, so I should double check it.
No, it's ok for a section to be attached to the bottom of the liner to extend it for cleaning in the basement. But at the bottom of that extension, there should be a cap. A good solution is for a second tee to be installed at the basement cleanout level with both the bottom and the snout capped. The snout cap gets removed for cleaning out.