Is this a good saw choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBones

Sep 19, 2012
Norfolk County Ontario
I think the 341 is almost the same as the 361/362. Just marketed for everywhere else other than the States.

It should be a very good firewood saw.

Thanks for the replies. Is that price ok too? Also can a smaller bar be utilized on this piece? Sorry for all the Q's guys I am a newbie......

That price looks good if the saw is in good mechanical order. It could run a 16", 18" 20" or a 25" bar........ whatever you choose. The 20" on there is probably the most popular length bar for a 60cc saw. I'd personally run an 18", but I'm not sure the difference is worth replacing a perfectly good 20" bar and chain setup.

That price looks good if the saw is in good mechanical order. It could run a 16", 18" 20" or a 25" bar........ whatever you choose.

Thanks I really appreciate the info

Its from a rental place bones but they usually keep good care of the equipment..

loon

Its from a rental place bones but they usually keep good care of the equipment..

loon
Interesting....I wondered about the numer on the side of it...After reading some more it seems buying a used saw is a real gamble that could easily go either way? I'm not overly thrilled to buy a used rental saw. Thanks Loon for the heads up;)

I think I will go get a price on a new Stihl MS362 and have a saw for life.....Thanks again guys!

Reactions: Nixon
Buying from a rental place could go either way. If you could get it in your hands and check it out before buying, it could be a good deal.

Nothing wrong with a new 362, either ;) I had that 'buy one saw for life' thought when I bought my first one, but that turned out to be just the beginning...

Reactions: Dairyman
Buying from a rental place could go either way. If you could get it in your hands and check it out before buying, it could be a good deal.

Nothing wrong with a new 362, either ;) I had that 'buy one saw for life' thought when I bought my first one, but that turned out to be just the beginning...

I dont think the initial savings is worth the gamble so unless I find a beauty used unit soon it will be the 362 to get me rolling.....like my other 2 hobbies (float fishing & wrenching on my cummins) I am well aware that once the passion starts the purchases soon follow LOL Thanks jeff_t

I dont think the initial savings is worth the gamble so unless I find a beauty used unit soon it will be the 362 to get me rolling.....like my other 2 hobbies (float fishing & wrenching on my cummins) I am well aware that once the passion starts the purchases soon follow LOL Thanks jeff_t
If the saw bug truly bites you, you have no idea how true your last statement is . In some folks , it becomes a sickness . So far , I have avoided it by buying only necessary saws. :)
And as a caveat ....... Don't get any saws ported !

If the saw bug truly bites you, you have no idea how true your last statement is . In some folks , it becomes a sickness . So far , I have avoided it by buying only necessary saws. :)
And as a caveat ....... Don't get any saws ported !

Arent they ALL necessary though? Or is just that my rationalization talking? ;)

Arent they ALL necessary though? Or is just that my rationalization talking? ;)
Well, obviously they all are very necessary ! Only a sick individual would entertain the thought of buying something like a chainsaw because they ......... Gotta go , the wife's home .

I'd buy a $30 compression tester and go see that rental saw. If it has around 150 lbs of compression and starts and revs up right, $300 is a bargain. If you wrench on a cummins, saw repair would be a breeze.

I'd buy a $30 compression tester and go see that rental saw. If it has around 150 lbs of compression and starts and revs up right, $300 is a bargain. If you wrench on a cummins, saw repair would be a breeze.
Don't listen to him ...... Give in to your inner saw needs . Used saw ...... New saw ..... Mmmmm. New saw smell ...:)

Reactions: Dairyman
Probably the best thing to do would be to buy the used 341, and a new 460 to go with it. And possibly a 261.
Skip the 341 , go with your original thought of the 362 ,get the 460 when you can afford it , have it ported . The 261 will never be even thought about , ever . :)

Have a very close look at the sigs of the posters you're getting advice from, ( me included, ) then think carefully before you purchase the next 1/2 dozen saws.==c

Oh yea, & don't ever run a ported saw either.

Reactions: Nixon and DexterDay
Skip the 341 , go with your original thought of the 362 ,get the 460 when you can afford it , have it ported . The 261 will never be even thought about , ever . :)

Just buy them all. LOL.......

The 460 is a Monster and the 362 is more than most would need. The 260 is a fast @$$ little saw (currwntly rebuilding mine/all parts are in). My 036, is the original, that became the modern EPA 362.

That sounds like a good 3 saw line up. 260, 362, and a 460.....

As others have noted. It becomes addictive. One saw turns into 5 really quick.

Welcome to the Forums. (BTW- whats your Cummins puttin out/ Torque and HP?)

Status
Not open for further replies.