Is this a good quote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenFire

Sep 20, 2011
Southern, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can give me indication if this is a good quote for southern NJ?

I have a prefab, ZC 36" FMI fireplace (Model 36EC) that will be removed and replaced with a BIS Traditional CE wood insert:

BIS Traditional CE $2475
Black Arch Facade $325
Black Single Arch Steel Door $635
6" Air Cooled chimney $750
Installation $1,000
Total with tax ~$5550

A solid chimney would run an additional $1100.

For the renovation, they would be removing the existing mantle and also need to remove the back siding to cut the plywood from the fireplace since the chimney is offset. Any thoughts? Fair, too good to be true, outrageously too high? I have no clue and there aren't many options in my area for competition.

Thanks in advance!

I can't say about the arch, mantle work or price for the unit but the chimney cost and installation look good. I got a quote last year for $3500 to drop an insulated liner and connect it to an insert. Give me a break. Did it myself instead.

I went for years with an air cooled chimney until I got an IR thermometer. That darn thing was sucking the heat out of my house. The temperature of the room side of the drywall chase was 50 °F in the winter. That puppy and the ZC fireplace that went with it are gone.

I am not sure if my experience was common for 1990 installations or not. But had I just thought about it, "air cooled" chimney on a fireplace that we hardly used. Face meet palm.

Tradition CE is also sold as a Lennox Montecito, which I had installed last year. Paid a fair bit more than that, but the job involved much more Class A chimney (like 2 1/2 stories) and building a new hearth/mantel.

JimboM said:
I went for years with an air cooled chimney until I got an IR thermometer. That darn thing was sucking the heat out of my house. The temperature of the room side of the drywall chase was 50 °F in the winter. That puppy and the ZC fireplace that went with it are gone.

I am not sure if my experience was common for 1990 installations or not. But had I just thought about it, "air cooled" chimney on a fireplace that we hardly used. Face meet palm.

Class A insulated is much better than air-cooled (in cold climates) if you can swing it. My 2 story plus Class A will suck a cat up the chimney if you're not careful. Great draft.

We just had a prefab with brick front torn out and replaced with a Montecito, wood mantle, and tile surround. Estimates from $6K - $9K, I went with the $6K because he seemed more reputable and he did a good job.

Holy crap. Every time I see quotes on new installs it freaks me out a little. I'll stick with my Englander sitting on 40cent ceramic tiles with some class A. I admit that everybody else's installs look nicer, but my stove gets just as hot.

The price seem fair, this is a complete replacement fireplace, not an insert. I would opt for the solid chimney for the additional $350. .

Status
Not open for further replies.