Is this a deal on a bk insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
$995 for it and piping if I pull the piping out. Will need new shroud, as they cut on it to fit in their space. Has gold door. I have no idea on the going price used, since I never see em for sale on CL.

It's a screaming deal assuming it's not terribly old and the catalyst is good. Do they know it's age?

I'm getting ready to call. The only drawback is it's a 4 hour drive from here. He's looking on the date on it, but thinks it's around ten years old. Aren't they basically the same now as ten years ago? Or did they change a bunch of things over the years?

Last edited:
I'd do it, that liner really adds a lot to the deal!

Oh, and what should I expect to pay for installation? I'll get the piping from him, so installing the stove, block off plate, and running the pipe. They'll also have to take out the old dampener, which may involve grinding, etc.

Looks like I'm about 3 feet short of recommended chimney height per online manual at 12 feet. They're saying I need a recommended 15 feet. Is there extensions I can add at the top that are 3 feet tall?

A new surround is gonna retail $317. I would plan on puttin a new cat in it too after 10 years. You may try the one that's in it, but it's tired..

You can convert to Class A at the top for a couple extra feet of pipe, won't look that great but will get you to 15 feet.

I would have a local metal shop fab up the surround, not much to them.

Also could go with this, but they only go up 2 feet: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Single-Flue-Chimney-Caps/Stainless-Steel-2-Flue-Stretcher

If it was me I would try running it as it is and add the extra chimney later if your draft is weak, shoulder season might give you issues with draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.