Is the Pacific Energy Summit worth the $$$?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpInSmoke

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Thanks guys(and gals) for your insight on the Hearthstone2, I did tell the dealer I was not interested especially after realizing I did not have the space for the left side open door. You all probably save me some $$$. The dealer heard my concerns and mentioned a Pacific Energy Summit -about $1800. Is anyone familiar with this stove is it worth the $$? Is it the cat's ass as far as heating and efficiency? They boast up to 3000sq ft and up to 12-14 hr burn time?

I also had someone suggest a fireplace called the Fuego mfg in Bulington Iowa (about 30 miles away). the company claims you can heat up t0 3000sq ft w/o a fan due to it's design. Are they blowing smoke?

Thanks...Sorting through the possibilities including those suggestions on my last post!

there is a member here(spike) that has the summit and has nothing but great things to say about it.
if you get a summit, get it in whorehouse red.

Yes , whorehouse red is the way to go ! :)

I cant say enough good things about my PE Summit ..........

To get more than enough information on the stove do a search here on hearth.com of "PE Summit" and or "Pacific Energy Summit" .......That should keep you bust for a few days .
Any information you cant find ........ then just ask .

Dylan said:
Roospike said:
Yes , whorehouse red is the way to go !

Is the any truth to the rumor that it'll be offerred in whorehouse fishnet in 2007???

This is the first season that Brothel Brown has been available.

As long as you avoid 'ball' blue... you should be good.

I hope the girls are not reading this!!!!

PE Summits are the nipple on the breast of life, they are that good!

Rhonemas said:
PE Summits are the nipple on the breast of life, they are that good!

Now if I have ever seen Hugh Hefner does John-Paul Sartre , that is it right there.

Wow, the guy asks a serious question and everyone goes into the gutter.

My kinda crowd!

UpinSmoke,

Those stoves get great reviews here. I think you cannot go wrong with that choice.

Dylan said:
I can't understand why there isn't a Pacific Energy dealer between (fifteen miles west of) Hartford (CT) and central Rhode Island.

I couldn't find one in the entire Mid-Atlantic area. It didn't matter because the leg model free stander is two inches too tall and the insert two inches too wide for my fireplace, but I wanted to see the exalted one with my own eyes.

Of course I don't think I care now. Not ready to fully bless it yet, but I am beginning to think this Englander could heat Texas Stadium. It is kicking the old 4.2 foot firebox monster's butt heating wise. On three splits at a time. We are shucking clothes like crazy and at our ages that ain't a pretty sight.

Don't waste your money on the Fuego. I just tore a Fuego out, and am replacing it with guess????
Yes a Pacific Energy Summit Insert. The Fuego is not for 14/7 burning IMHO. They are convection heat and on the colder nights it can't keep up heating.
Mine did not even have a secondary burn. And had to constantly add wood. I packed it full side to side top to bottom and at best got 3-4 hrs of heat out of it, then tapered drastically after that. One big creosote creator..
Edited sorry, changed topic, move to new thread..

Dylan said:
I can't understand why there isn't a Pacific Energy dealer between (fifteen miles west of) Hartford (CT) and central Rhode Island.

there is one in westfield mass don't know how close you are to it though

UpInSmoke said:
Thanks guys(and gals) for your insight on the Hearthstone2, I did tell the dealer I was not interested especially after realizing I did not have the space for the left side open door. You all probably save me some $$$. The dealer heard my concerns and mentioned a Pacific Energy Summit -about $1800. Is anyone familiar with this stove is it worth the $$? Is it the cat's ass as far as heating and efficiency? They boast up to 3000sq ft and up to 12-14 hr burn time?

I also had someone suggest a fireplace called the Fuego mfg in Bulington Iowa (about 30 miles away). the company claims you can heat up t0 3000sq ft w/o a fan due to it's design. Are they blowing smoke?

Thanks...Sorting through the possibilities including those suggestions on my last post!

i got a quote for 2340 for the insert with the oversized surround........why do i feel that is high?

iceman said:
i got a quote for 2340 for the insert with the oversized surround........why do i feel that is high?

Not all that high. I was budgeting $2,500 for an insert before I went renegade and put the Englander free stander in my fireplace.

Twenty-five hundred for a top of the line insert isn't out of line. The thing will last you twenty or thirty years.

iceman said:
UpInSmoke said:

Thats about right. I paid $2,169.00 with standard surround, so with larger surround, your right there.

iceman said:
UpInSmoke said:

$1800. for the black steel free standing .........is that with the leg kit and ash pan system ? (Doesn't sound like it )
Mine with the Porcelain Enamel / leg kit / ash pan system ( standard as the "classic" model ) was about $2200.oo O.T.D. 2 years ago and steel price have gone up from supply yard prices of .52 cents a lbs at that time to now .85 cents a lbs.

The Summit as an insert with a blower and steel surround the $2300.oo sounds about right.

Two weeks ago I was quoted $2710 for the Summit insert. He was the only dealer around me. I probably would have jumped at the $1800. Needless to say, I went with a different store/insert.

As a long-time PE dealer (over 20 years), I thought I'd weigh in here. There have been several questions in this thread, and I'm not familiar with the waycool technique used above to cut and reply to snippets, so I'll just forge on.

If you need a high-powered woodstove or insert, the Pacific Summit is more than worth the $$$

MSRP for a Summit Insert is $2045.00. The free-stander is $1545. Worth it. There are add-ons available, and their value is up to you.

PE products are built on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. They're hugely popular in Canada, and that marketplace understandably gets served first. The US marketplace gets covered West - East, so there are fewer PE dealers as you head Eastward. There just aren't enough stoves to go around: PE periodically runs out of product, and back-orders are common. Opening new dealerships just isn't on the menu.

Another thing that happens as PE products travel East is, freight charges increase. These are heavy beasties, and the farther they go the more it costs to get them there. A dealer on the East Coast might find he must charge a bit more than MSRP for PE stoves; buyers who do their homework are willing to pay.

After 25+ years in the hearth product business, and having burned over 60 models on my home and showroom flues, I heat my house with a PE Spectrum. If I had a larger house, or lived in a colder climate, I'd buy a Summit in a hot second.

Status
Not open for further replies.