Is stove ash good for anything?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenr1c

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2006
Does the ash have a really negative effect on garden plants or the lawn? Is it good for anything at all? What do other people do with the stove ash?

MikeinCT said:
Does the ash have a really negative effect on garden plants or the lawn? Is it good for anything at all? What do other people do with the stove ash?

Wood ash is great for adjusting the Ph in soil. If you have an acidic soil it will make it more neutral. If you have a compost pile it would be better to add the ash to the pile and release more nitrogen.

MikeinCT said:
This is a timely question as I've got a whole trashcan full of it from this past winter's burning. I'll probably just put out the can for the trash this year as I don't know what my soil PH is like. Need to get it tested.

Any other ideas besided cleaning old glasses?

Eric

Supposed to be good for controlling algae in lakes.

Good for growing tomatoes, put a scoop in each hole.

Indeed, use it in place of lime in the garden. I've noticed that it seems to work best to save it over the winter and then spread it on the ground just before tilling it in. We have sand here so all the ash we get is appreciated.

btw, creosote is also excellent for house plants and gardens! So when you clean your chimney, save it all and use it instead of throwing it away.

Besides putting it in the garden I pour it around the base of my trees. It also is the best to use on an icy driveway or for getting a car unstuck.

I've been told that in New England, there is so much acid rain that you really can't go wrong spreading ash out to help balance it out with the possible exception of common acid-loving plants that people put near the house. (azaleas, many evergreens, rhododendrons, etc...) This year I just spread it lightly all over the lawn.

Oh yea, and cleaning my cruddy old glassware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.