Is my stovepipe installed correctly please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kuma Tamarack

Mar 19, 2019
NoCal
I have a Kuma Tamarack & a telescoping double wall stovepipe. Both sections are double wall. I don't know the brand.
The male section has no crimped ends & it is positioned OVER the collar on the stove.
The female section slides over the male & is held there by 3 short screws. The female section has 1 crimped end which is at the top & it goes over the few inches of crimped silver sticking out of the ceiling support box.
That's it, no adapters or connectors... just a band that tightens (with a screw) over the crimped end.
Should I have a more substantial part at the top connection at the ceiling rather than a skimpy crimped end over a skimpy crimped silver thing?
It clogs so easily I'm thinking it cools too fast up at the ceiling.
(In case this is pertinent information the inside diameter of the stove collar is 6". There is a ledge a few inches down inside the collar on the stove....meaning if I put a pipe, with a 6" OUTER diameter into the collar it would not fall all the way into the stove, but be held up by the ledge.)
Photos are nearly impossible with a 20 year old laptop on dial-up. It was extremely aggravating to log in.

I can't give you much of any input without seeing it

It sounds like Selkirk pipe. Is the inner pipe fitting inside the flue collar and the outer goes over it?

There is no inside & outside of the pipe. I read about that style. There is no part of the stovepipe that is outside with an inside part on the inside. The entire male pipe is completely over the stove collar, the female is completely over the male held onto it with 3 screws (or it would drop down if creo wasn't glueing it) & that female's crimped end is completely over the silver crimped thing coming out of the ceiling.

There should be a label on it somewhere.

It sounds like you are missing the stovetop adaptor.

No label - it's in use.
Thought I might do well to have an adapter of some sort ar the top.
Testing now to see if an illustration will load.

When the stove is running is there smoke leaking out? I did a direct connection onto my stove without an appliance adapter, inside male piece on the inside of the stove collar, outside female piece on the outside of the collar, snug fit with no air leaks, and it not like the pipe is going to jump up and out of the collar if the other pipes are screwed together from the support box / crock down.

Reactions: Sawset
No label - it's in use.
Thought I might do well to have an adapter of some sort ar the top.
Testing now to see if an illustration will load.
Without an actual picture it’s difficult to say. It sounds like Selkirk DSP, the adaptor at the top is part of the chimney system and is not specific to the stove pipe. The stovetop adaptor is specific to your pipe. If the inner pipe is fitting over your flue collar then something’s missing.

No smoke Kenny. Just clogs too easily. Not getting what your set-up is. Mine is just outside the collar. No problem with that or where the 2 pipes are screwed together. Thinking it might not clog as easily if the
pipe stayed warmer at the ceiling.

At the ceiling connection is where I think I should have something extra to keep the heat inside the pipe longer.
The band up there is wrapped around the pleated edge of the pope. Under the pleated edge is the silver pleated part coming out of the ceiling.

Looks just like mine, it should be good.

So the actual complaint here is the black pipe is clogging with creosote? or is it tough when trying to push the section up on telescoping pipe?

Appears correct except if you are setting the lower double wall section completely outside of the stove collar. The pictured screw hole on the lower end of the lower pipe section should in theory attach the lower pipe section to the stove collar that should be sandwiched between the double wall. Do you need a stove pipe adaptor to accomplish this? Hate to see you have creo escaping onto the stove top instead of back down inside the stove collar into the stove.
It does not appear to be the same version of Selkirk DSP I am used to. It is similar. Your connection to the chimney adaptor at the ceiling should not be losing significant heat.
Can you explain your clogging problem?
Just some observations from the keyboard. Maybe I am not understanding/seeing this correctly?

If the connection is loose at the bottom it can be sucking a lot of cool air into the pipe. Did you say the inner wall of the pipe fits over your flue collar?

Only thing I could be doing wrong is out of my control... and that is,
In Sept & Oct I restart the stove 4 times a day. Too cold without it, too hot to keep it going.
By Nov this year it was starting to clog but too much snow on the roof. Cleaned it this week.
Earlier this year by January it was smoke pouring out the door when I opened it to stoke.

OK AlbergSteve, guess it's safe anyhow.

Kenny.The pipe isn't crazy gunked up. Just took it off a Tuesday. When I took it off & looked up into the chimney it was solid clog. Pat on the back to me for getting the stove fired up at all until the snow cleared for a day to clean it.

moresnow There's screw holes all over that male on the bottom... but not through to the inside.
I asked the store to give the stove a burn before installation so that it wouldn't be so sickening of an odor. I think they gave me a bum deal but it was in the middle of winter & had no other heat.
Maybe that male is releasing too much heat before it even gets to the ceiling?
Doesn't seem to be any sandwiching. The whole thing is over the collar resting on the stove. No mess on the stove. (Hope I didn't just jinx it!)
Clogging is up top in the area under that strap- not even down into the pipe. Can take the pipes off & the clog is sitting there solid inside the silver part coming out of the ceiling.
I didn't think photos would be be any more helpful than an illustration.

webby It appears the entire pipe, inside & out fits completely over the collar & rests on the stove

webby It appears the entire pipe, inside & out fits completely over the collar & rests on the stove
Well, thats incorrect.
What’s the quality and moisture content of the wood? That’s the elephant in the room at this point.

IF your pipe/install doesn't look something like the picture below, stop using the stove and get it sorted out now!

Thinking it might not clog as easily if the
pipe stayed warmer at the ceiling.
The joint at the top must be a snug, air tight fit, if not, it's drawing "cold" air from the room which could be condensing creosote just above the joint. The band at the top is just decorative.

IF your pipe/install doesn't look something like the picture below, stop using the stove and get it sorted out now!

The joint at the top must be a snug, air tight fit, if not, it's drawing "cold" air from the room which could be condensing creosote just above the joint. The band at the top is just decorative.