Is my DIY parge job look ok so far ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurner777

Nov 28, 2021
Pittsburgh pa
Used high heat motar says it’s good for 2500 plus and ok for parging

I did not remove my damper frame, just the plate and had to stretch my arm up in there. Needless to say I’m extremely sore and it took extra time , I’m still not 100 percent finished , I might do a final coat and try to get it as smooth as possible with a spatula and try some chamber tech. So far it isn’t look pretty but the clearance is a lot better and I got a lot of loose or missing motar joints sealed up, so it has to be somewhat effective compared to nothing ? What’s ur guys opinions

Pictures attached , does it look ok so far ?

196BDABE-E706-437D-8410-2E0D91A9CF12.jpeg 622E249F-137E-4036-A264-FF8A2B6868E3.jpeg

Used high heat motar says it’s good for 2500 plus and ok for parging

I did not remove my damper frame, just the plate and had to stretch my arm up in there. Needless to say I’m extremely sore and it took extra time , I’m still not 100 percent finished , I might do a final coat and try to get it as smooth as possible with a spatula and try some chamber tech. So far it isn’t look pretty but the clearance is a lot better and I got a lot of loose or missing motar joints sealed up, so it has to be somewhat effective compared to nothing ? What’s ur guys opinions

Pictures attached , does it look ok so far ?

View attachment 287797 View attachment 287798
What mortar did you use?

U think I should do another slim coat of chamber tech ?
That really depends on whether you have the proper thickness of masonry in the smoke chamber

What thickness is recommended
That depends if the smoke chamber has the required thickness of masonry or not. And depends on the parging compound used. Usually I am just smoothing and reshaping so thickness doesn't matter much

That depends if the smoke chamber has the required thickness of masonry or not. And depends on the parging compound used. Usually I am just smoothing and reshaping so thickness doesn't matter much
Are u referring to the thickness of masonry as in the bricks themselves ?

Also thanks for ur replies , merry Christmas

Are u referring to the thickness of masonry as in the bricks themselves ?

Also thanks for ur replies , merry Christmas
Yes you need to have a certain thickness of masonry in the smoke chamber. I don't remember what it is offhand I will have to look it up