Is it possible to clean SS Liner through thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Hampy123

Aug 19, 2024
Maine
Is it possible to clean a chimney liner through the thimble/tee and up?
Getting a new stove and stainless liner installed in a couple of weeks. Where its a new setup and I haven't burned in over a decade, I would like to do a quick sweep once or twice during the heating season. I would get it professionally cleaned annually beyond that. House has a metal roof that I have no desire to try and get on during the winter.
Wasn't sure if one of those rotary cleaners like the sooteater had enough flex to make the bend, or if someone had another cleaver idea they have done. Thought I read somewhere about someone using a large 45 degree plumbing elbow as a sleeve for the rotary cleaner and getting it to work.

Yes, that is what I do; I take off the stove pipe, go in horizontally through the thimble, and then bend 90 degrees up into the liner.
I have the white-rod sooteater.

I have both white and black rods and they both go thru the thimble and make the 90 up the chimney. The white rods do make the turn easier.