Is it just me or...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
is the radiant heat i'm gettin offin this new Jotul 500 that much different than the convection type heat offn a steel stove? It's kinda hard for me to explain over the interweb but that big ole chunk of cast iron can sit in the basement and glow it's ghostly light all night long with just a big bed of coals in it. The house and everything in it seems to soak up the heat and keep putting it out all night long. Our bedroom is about as far from the stove in this house as you can get but it seems that as the night goes on the room seems to get warmer and warmer even though the stove is gettin cooler. Maybe it's just my imagination huh? Might be Manapause? I do think it may have somethin to do with the unique construction of our small home. It is 24x48. The basement is 10x8x16 block. The upper floor is 6x8x16 block with an inch of foam lining and then insulated 2x4 walls inside that. I'm thinkin that this new stove is more or less heating a "thermo mass" rather than just the air in the hooch, and once that gets hot it takes awhile for it to cool. I aint no Ebert Einstien or nothin so i dont know nothin bout the laws of physics and such but it makes sence ta me. Or, maybe this head cold I got is just givin me a fever and I just feel hot huh?

(broken link removed to http://www.tapinsulation.com/heat.html)

This is a good explanation heat transfer. A wood stove, electric baseboard, or piped radiant heat heats the mass of the home and then releases it. Forced air heat only heat the air which does not hold heat very well and explains why a furnace has to cycle so often to keep a home warm.

I like my Summit but the old radiant Nashua was a nicer heat for me, the house has a more even heat now though, some times I wished I would have bought a more radiant style stove but too late now.

Yeah, radiant heat feels much better imo. You still get plenty of natural convection as well. Only way I'd change to a so called convection stove is if I had to meet close clearances or a home with a closed in floor plan with lots of rooms.

Todd said:
Yeah, radiant heat feels much better imo. You still get plenty of natural convection as well. Only way I'd change to a so called convection stove is if I had to meet close clearances or a home with a closed in floor plan with lots of rooms.

With the stove burning the house is very comfortable at 70-75 degrees and maintains that all day. Have been waking up with the house at 66 degrees and it's been high 20's out. With forced air, 70 would make you feel like you were baking and I couldn't breathe well with all that hot air moving around. And it would cycle on constantly.

Funny that I was (sort of) talking to a neighbor a couple day ago with this. Actually, he did most of the talking as it is worthless trying to tell him anything. He remembered when he first got married how they used to freeze in their bedrooms because the heat from the wood stove got that room to 90 degrees and it would drop at least 20 degrees in the next room and further, etc. I mentioned radiant heat and also moving heat but may as well have been talking to the moon. At least if I talk to the moon, the danged thing doesn't think I'm nuts and don't talk back with nonsense.

Yes, radiant heat is wonderful!

Dennis, funny story. Sounds like you know how to deal with it, let him talk.

Butcher, It is all about the thermal mass of the house and the stove. If the house is insulated well the house mass will hold the heat. My cast iron Oslo when cold, takes 2 or 3 reloads before I get much heat off the stove. Once hot, the stove radiates heat for a long time as the coal bed is dieing out.

hey mike, have you run the blower on the furnace and see if that helps curculate and maybe bring in a little fresh cooler air when you guys are bake'in in there ?.
i know when my wood stove is on i have cooler fresh air comeing from my floor heat vents. found this is normal in my situation. duct work is just doing its job replaceing the air the wood stove is useing. newer house and my furnace has a fresh air inlet pipe sticking out the side of the house.
i do not have the fresh air duct pipe hooked up on my wood stove.

It seems like the heat just pours out the front glass of this thing. No complaints so far.

perry in mi said:
hey mike, have you run the blower on the furnace and see if that helps curculate and maybe bring in a little fresh cooler air when you guys are bake'in in there ?.
i know when my wood stove is on i have cooler fresh air comeing from my floor heat vents. found this is normal in my situation. duct work is just doing its job replaceing the air the wood stove is useing. newer house and my furnace has a fresh air inlet pipe sticking out the side of the house.
i do not have the fresh air duct pipe hooked up on my wood stove.
Havnt found the need to Perry. 'sides the furnace and thermostat aint wired to run on just fan only. This things doin a good enough job without puttin extra wear and tear on my furnace blower.
The less lectricity and propane I use may not pencil out when you figure the cost of cuttin, splittin, stackin and haulin wood but it's kinda a personal satisfaction deal with me. Spent alot of years in a drafty old 7 bedroom farm house burnin everything from kero to tars just to keep the cold away. Kinda gettin used to this "warm" thing everyone was always talkin 'bout.
From my dictionary for some of you;
Far; yellow and blue flames that come from a combustable substance.
Tars; Those round black things made of rubber and bolt to the 4 corners of a veehickle.
:)

It's not you . . . it's me. ;) :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

But yeah, you're right . . . radiant heat . . . that big ol' hunk of cast iron soaks up the heat and radiates it out for hours . . . and everything around it sucks up the radiated heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.