Is anyone familiar with godin stove #3732?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss528

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I just moved into a new house, and the previous owner left the godin stove behind but it hasn't been used in a long while, and it is not connected. I have heard it is a coal stove, is this true? It appears to be in fine condition, no rust etc so what is it worth?
Thanks!

Sounds like a nice discovery. I believe this is an Oval Petit Godin. No idea what it would sell for, depends on where you are located. If near a good sized east coast market, maybe $2-300 to the right buyer. If in rural Kansas, it might be a harder sale. I think this stove can burn either chunk coal or small logs, but could be wrong.

Can you post a picture or two?

ok- how's this photo?
is this a coal stove? how old is it?

Attachments

• Is anyone familiar with godin stove #3732?
    godin3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,173
it does look the same! are these stoves at all efficient? how long of a fire can you expect from this with coal and/or wood? do you still think it's worth $2-300, i do live on the east coast. i have a fireplace and am thinking of getting an alternative heat source to the oil i am using, but feel it would make more sense to put something in the fireplace and use the exisiting chimney or am i wrong about that? just looking for a little supplemental heating and a nice hot spot with some degree of efficiency and ease of use...i am a single mom with 3 small kids...

very limited funds, i shop mostly craigs list...i am trying to figure what things would cost
is coal more efficient than wood? seems that coal costs more at any rate...

If I didn't have free wood I'd be burning coal...way less hassle. Very nice stove you have there.

thank you very much. but it won't fit in my fireplace, so then what would be involved in installation? and i have been reading that the EPA has tightened up its rules/regs for woodburning stoves for efficiency, waste etc- so is it allright to use an old stove?

how do you know that coal is more efficient? is there somewhere i can look?
is it messier? is it easier to maintain? is it more expensive to install? sorry, i have never done this before...

The Godins are very good coal stoves but are true smoke dragons when burning wood. You will not get anything approaching a clean burn under any conditions.

SS528--I have a Petit Godin 3730. It's from the 1970s and was in my parents' house until I brought it to my house this year. I had it installed by a certified chimney guy. It cost $1500 for the installation, which included an ceramic-insulated chimney liner the full length of the chimney, and a T-connection from the back of the stove to the chimney pipe. My chimney did not need any work other than a cap on top. This also included a hearth extension because my original hearth was not deep enough.

This was a pretty big expense, but I wanted to make sure it was done right. I am not a DIYer when it involves fire or electricity. I had a couple of quotes in this range, and the company was very highly recommended. I figure it will pay for itself in two years. I have an efficient electric heat pump, but I plan to use it very sparingly once it turns cold. Last year, my winter electric bills were in the $300/mo range, mostly due to the heat pump. I also just prefer the heat produced by the wood stove to blown air.

My house is very small--900SF, and not terribly-well insulated (which is okay for a wood stove but not great for an electric heat pump).

I plan to start out with wood and once I get the hang of that, see if I can get some anthracite coal, although it's not too cold here in this part of Virginia and the coal might be overkill.

ss528 said:
how do you know that coal is more efficient? is there somewhere i can look?
is it messier? is it easier to maintain? is it more expensive to install? sorry, i have never done this before...

You can buy coal in bags just like pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.