Is 650 degrees the standard temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No, there is no standard temperature.
The stove top temperature depends on the design of the stove, how the burn is dialed in (low or high or whatever in between), and even the room environment (if a fan blows 40 F air from a cabin heating up over the stove top, it'll cool down more than if it's an 80 F room with only natural convection....

Reactions: Itslay90
No, there is no standard temperature.
The stove top temperature depends on the design of the stove, how the burn is dialed in (low or high or whatever in between), and even the room environment (if a fan blows 40 F air from a cabin heating up over the stove top, it'll cool down more than if it's an 80 F room with only natural convection....
Thank you

Saying the same thing in a different way:

You need a certain number of btus to keep a room at a certain temperature. The amount of energy this is varies with the outside temperature. You may need the stove to be room temperature in the summer, or 650F in the winter. Stove top temperature is a representation of the amount of energy that needs to be added to the room to keep it warm and this will go up and down depending on how much heat is needed.

Saying the same thing in a different way:

You need a certain number of btus to keep a room at a certain temperature. The amount of energy this is varies with the outside temperature. You may need the stove to be room temperature in the summer, or 650F in the winter. Stove top temperature is a representation of the amount of energy that needs to be added to the room to keep it warm and this will go up and down depending on how much heat is needed.
thank you

You have to get to the cruising mode. That's when the house is completely up to temp and being maintained. Just watch out your not over firing as you are getting there.

My f400 can run at 650F for a little while but usually cruises at 450-600ish depending on the wood and how the draft is dialed in.

My small stove gets to 700 with the air intake turned all the way down. My stove pipe is straight up and it's not even as tall as it should be according to the manufactuer, but I am in a high wind area.

We generally get the stove up to 650, then back'er down to 400-425 and cruise. Stove room (living /dinning/ kitchen level) at 80-84*f.....upstairs furthest bedroom around 72- 75*f. 1,700 sq.ft Split Level home.

650 was cruising for me and maybe 2 hrs., that was measured with IR gun on the fire/coals thru the window, not on stovetop so not sure how much different that would be, but then would taper off after the next hours like normal until a reload, 4-6 hrs. later

in my experience, with a full load of wood in a non-catalytic stove, 650 is seen often during the high point of the burn. Temp gradually goes down from there.

Temps on stovetop have a big delta. 650 F can be measured in the middle of the top at the hottest point, while readings can be almost 100F lower at various points on the right and left sides of the top. This is my experience with the cast top on my f400.

An IR gun is a fast way to get many quick temp measurements on all parts of a stove and surrounding surfaces. Even your dog.

1721581132570.png

Last edited:
Temps on stovetop have a big delta. 650 F can be measured in the middle of the top at the hottest point, while readings can be almost 100F lower at various points on the right and left sides of the top. This is my experience with the cast top on my f400.

An IR gun is a fast way to get many quick temp measurements on all parts of a stove and surrounding surfaces. Even your dog.

View attachment 328490
Hotdog

• Haha