Is 3 o’clock temperature ok for a BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tere

Jan 14, 2024
Oregon
Is 3 o’clock temperature ok for a BK?

Questions:
1. Is it ok to leave it all night at that temperature?
2. Why is not heating a 2,000sqft house?
3. Do I need to take off the side shields to irradiate more heat?
Thank you for your answers

It’s fine for the probe to be at that position. If you get a Condar cat probe you’ll see it has more range than the stock BK probe. You could actually run the BK probe to about the 6 o clock position

Don’t take off the side shields. They help maintain the clearance to combustibles.

Does your stove have a fan? IMO the BK stoves are much more efficient at spreading heat around with the factory fan installed.

Depending on what stove you have and how your house is insulated etc, your stove might not be able to heat 2000 sqft.

Reactions: BKVP and Highbeam
Questions:
1. Is it ok to leave it all night at that temperature?
2. Why is not heating a 2,000sqft house
Which BK stove? How open is the house plan? How high are the ceilings? How good is the insulation?

Agree with DonTee that running a Princess at 3:00 on the BK cat gauge seems to be fine. Check your stove manual; mine does not warn against it. Also agree that the Condar cat gauge provides more information than the stock BK gauge. I've only had my BK stove since summer 2023, but so far I've had no apparent problems even with the BK at wide-open air and the BK cat gauge at 5:00 to 6:00.

You might want to install an Auber AT100/AT200 flue thermometer if you can.

During the unusual cold snap (10 dF overnight, 15 dF daytime) this past week, I'm finding that my BK Princess is barely able to keep up with heating my 1800 sq. ft. (14 ft ceiling) space, even running with wide open air and 8 hour reloads of PNW softwoods. Insulation is mid-1990s standard. OTOH, the stove easily keeps the space warm with the much more common 30s dF outdoor temps running with 1/3 to 2/3 air and 12 hour reloads.

Agree, nothing wrong with long term operation with the cat meter at that position. Looks fine.

If you’re cold, turn it up higher. If at the highest stat setting your house stays cold then your stove system and/or wood is not capable of making enough heat for your needs. These stoves are really that simple.

Lots of people across the continent are getting a feel for the maximum output their stoves are capable of this last week.

As DonTee mentioned above using the fan will help drastically. On the really cold nights your stove may not be able to heat your whole house without supplemental heat from a furnace/boiler.

Like NHWS my princess struggles when the temps really drop like below 10 degrees. It can do it but that is with shorter reloads and burning better species like black locust . The red maple i mostly have right now does not cut it for this cold.

I have 2500 sq feet that the stove mostly heats the first floor about 1800 sq feet . The boiler has to help with the upstairs .

You may need to upgrade your wood supply and or insulation to help heat your home easier.

My ashford has never gotten that hot-

That said when it's below 20 and blowing 20 or higher (like now) it has a hard time keeping up. To be honest that's fine. Stove heat is rather localized and I want My heat to kick on a little and keep far off nooks and crannies a little warmer than what just the stove could provide. 2000sq with vaulted ceilings and poorly air sealed and insulated.