IronStrike Montlake 230 vs Vermont Castings Gifford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HJSchles

Dec 7, 2022
New Windsor, NY
Looking at these two stoves to potentially install at my home.
Any suggestions or reviews positive or negative would be helpful in making my decision.
I have about 1300 sq feet that I'd like to heat. Just looking for any and all feedback on either of these stoves.
Thank you!

The Gifford is a single-burn rate insert. It is the same internally as the Quadrafire Expedition I. There is no user control over the air to the fire other than the startup air. If the insert is to be used mostly on nights and weekends and a set-it and forget-it operation is desired, this will work ok.
The Montlake 230 has a standard, user-controlled air supply.

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it.
Not seeing much one way or another about the Montlake 230 from a review standpoint. Have you heard anything?
Definitely see some negatives about the Vermont Castings.
Either way. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we don't see as many of the Montlakes, but they are well-made and good-looking heaters.