Ironstone Mills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rich2500

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Berks County PA.
Anyone burn any of the Ironstones, they are made locally to me and several dealers sell them so I was thinking of picking up a ton but I hate buying a full ton of a brand I never burned .

Haven't heard of them nor seen anything in writing yet but if you can, pick up a few bands to try them in your stove. Sometimes, a pellet that works well in one stove is less than adequate in another. Gotta take reviews with a grain of salt.

thats the problem they are only sold by the ton,I'm not worried about my stove burning them as it will eat any pellet I feed it. I'm more concerned with heat output.

It's hard following all the "new" brands, are they just rebadged junk or something new..

Last edited:
picking a ton of Iron stones up tomorrow to try I will post my thoughts after I have tried them,hope they are a good pellet as I can get them for 240 a ton

Hi rich, I have burned Ironstone and really liked them. In fact I am getting a ton tomorrow. They seemed to be a mix between hard and softwood (more softwood) and were pretty clean overall. The heat output was also very good--at least for me. Where are you getting them for so cheap? I am paying 280 a ton! Let me know what you think? I am right on the border of MD and PA, are there any other stores up there that sell pellets? Currently I am forced to go to either The Mill or Courtland hardware for pellets. Thanks

My understanding is that they're a smaller mill in Leola, PA. They've been around for quite a while. We tried to bring a few loads in last year, but they never seemed to catch up with demand.

Hi rich, I have burned Ironstone and really liked them. In fact I am getting a ton tomorrow. They seemed to be a mix between hard and softwood (more softwood) and were pretty clean overall. The heat output was also very good--at least for me. Where are you getting them for so cheap? I am paying 280 a ton! Let me know what you think? I am right on the border of MD and PA, are there any other stores up there that sell pellets? Currently I am forced to go to either The Mill or Courtland hardware for pellets. Thanks
I know of 2 other places other then my dealer that sell the ironstones but the are both alot more expensive.

They are about average for heat and Ash but a lot of long pellets, some 2" long.

I burn the Kingdom hardwood and softwoods and they are better then the Ironstones.