Iron horse 6 ton electric log splitter. Replacing nylon cushion under ram possible? Type of hydraulic fluid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
HI everyone! I have a old log splitter that my Dad purchased at a northeast chain called Grossmans Bargain Outlet around the mid 2000's. Unfortunately the manual that came with it is really simple and lacks information. It's still works very well but it has a few problems.

1. The Nylon cushion under the ram ripped apart. Now there's metal on metal. Is there any way to replace this? I can't figure out how to take the ram off. It's almost like it was welded on the machine with no way to take it off. Any ideas how to fix it?

2. It leaks hydraulic fluid from dip stick screw area. Looks like the silicone seal around the threads wore out. I was thinking of using some Teflon tape around the screw threads.

3. When checking the level of hydraulic fluid, should the dip stick be screwed in or not to check the hydraulic fluid level?

4. Does anyone have any idea what type of hydraulic fluid this would take? It smells pretty strong. My manual doesn't specify. Does it look like it should be changed? Fluid looks amber with darker brown at the bottom. (see pictures) Is it worth changing?

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Iron horse 6 ton electric log splitter. Replacing  nylon cushion under ram possible? Type of hydraulic fluid?

Iron horse 6 ton electric log splitter. Replacing  nylon cushion under ram possible? Type of hydraulic fluid?

I have that same splitter! Lol.

They still make it under different colors.

I think I’d wedge a piece of plastic milk bottle under the ram. A bit of oil sprayed on the track should also help lubrication.

I was never picky about the hydraulic fluid I used. I don’t think China paid any specific attention to what seals they used. If it builds pressure, it was good enough for me.

Reactions: salecker
I have that same splitter! Lol.

They still make it under different colors.

I think I’d wedge a piece of plastic milk bottle under the ram. A bit of oil sprayed on the track should also help lubrication.

I was never picky about the hydraulic fluid I used. I don’t think China paid any specific attention to what seals they used. If it builds pressure, it was good enough for me.

Reactions: salecker
I have a version of that i bought for $20.00 at a yard sale
Milk jug would be about the extent of fixing i would do on it as well, if you really want to fix it take it apart and find some plastic thick enough to carve a replacement out of it.
Same with the oil, pretty much anything will work.
I bought it to mount in my boiler room for the X to make small stuff for starting fires,i have never used it

Haha! I'm glad to find a few people with the same one! I know, it's a cheap one, but it's been good to us. No it can't do really gnarly knots, but everything else we throw at it, it splits.

Ok, I picked up some AW32 hydraulic oil to change it. Hopefully that's good enough and hopefully it's not too picky about the type of fluid.

Milk carton is a good idea. Any ideas on how to secure it under the ram so it moves with ram? Glue it? There's not much space under the ram to work with. Yeah, my mistake. I should have been oiling the track when using it. Probably would have prevented the plastic cushion from breaking off in the first place. Thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas on how to repair it. Really appreciate it!

AW32 will do it. I have ATF in mine. My friend I got it off of said the ATF was cheaper. Works fine.

Is the dipstick seal an O ring? Lots of chicom stuff is.

AW32 will do it. I have ATF in mine. My friend I got it off of said the ATF was cheaper. Works fine.

Is the dipstick seal an O ring? Lots of chicom stuff is.CooCool! The
Cool! The AW32 should work. Good to know you can use ATF instead too. The "seal" wasn't much of a seal. There wasn't even an o-ring unless it fell off. The dipstick has a lag looking screw with a built in o-ring around it. The screw threads were sealed with this stretchy silicone like stuff. I was going to try adding an o-ring and sealing the threads with some teflon tape. Hopefully that works.