Intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Hello,

Thought I'd stop by to introduce myself!

My name is Jeremy and I've lived in Madison, WI since 2012. Before that I grew up in Michigan. Been around wood burning all my life, my parents heated with wood and I had a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim in the first house I owned. After selling that place and buying my current home, I had to put in a wood stove from scratch and build a wood shed. Decided to go with Woodstock Soapstone and their ideal steel stove. Absolutely the best decision I made!! I easily get 18 to 20 hr burns on oak, hickory or locust. Been burning a lot of cherry too this year due to it being milder. My wood supply is around 14 cords of a little bit of everything that I started cutting in 2017.

Here are a few pics of my stove and my wood storage.The first group of photos is my stove just after it was installed, you'll never see the soapstone that pretty again lol!!!

IntroIntroIntroIntroIntro IntroIntro

I have a few wood ID's to post but I will make separate threads for those!

Finally I just want to thank this forum for being such an amazing resource for wood burning! Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the forums especially being a Woodstock owner and will be able to relate my experiences with their stove.

Take care!

Jeremy

Welcome to the forum

Welcome aboard, this is an awesome place to talk about anything related to burning, one of my favorite spots is the woodshed, lots of awesome posts with wood splitting, tree felling, id's and techniques of gathering. By the looks of all your pics it seems that you have things pretty much figured out, a good supply and nice shed, do you have a mini rack set up closer to the house or in the house, I would hate to do the resupply walk in a blizzard with minus 20 deg weather.

Welcome aboard, this is an awesome place to talk about anything related to burning, one of my favorite spots is the woodshed, lots of awesome posts with wood splitting, tree felling, id's and techniques of gathering. By the looks of all your pics it seems that you have things pretty much figured out, a good supply and nice shed, do you have a mini rack set up closer to the house or in the house, I would hate to do the resupply walk in a blizzard with minus 20 deg weather.

I've got a 8ft metal rack close to the house, maybe holds about a week's worth of wood.

I'm pretty surprised how much wood I've been able to fit on my lot size and "not" look like a wood hoarder :) Most of my shed was built using leftovers from my wife's uncles construction business. The best part was getting the tin roofing material for free!! For the bottom I scrounged some awesome 10ft solid oak pallets from a nearby factory here in Madison. They must use them to bring in machinery or some kind of heavy equipment. But they told me they love to give 'em away for free since it costs them something to get rid of them. The only money I needed to spend was for the 6ft ground timbers that make up the posts and the concrete post blocks I set them in (couldn't dig them into the ground since the wood shed is too close to where our utility cables are).

I started cutting wood at my wife's grandparents farm about an hr outside of Madison but since that's gone away I've been able to get in with a few local tree companies by making my house a dump site. I'd say I have 4-5 deliveries per year, usually 2 in the winter and 2 or 3 in the fall. Thankfully I'd say most logs are hardwood, maybe 10% or less of pine. After splitting this tree company stuff, each piece of wood gets scanned with a metal detector wand scanner. And yes I've found metal (and wires) in some of this stuff. Just more wood for the bonfire wood pile :)