Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
To all past and current Intrepid II owners I have a few questions:

1. What temps do you like to burn at? From what I read on here people seem to burn them hot at around 650*. What are your thoughts on this?

2. What is your setup? At what point do you switch to cat mode? Does cat mode effect you temp (high or low)?

3. How do you manage your air control? Do you cut it down at a certain point? How does this effect your temp?

I've been running mine at half air, the griddle stays around 550F.
I tried running the cat a few times, the whole stove gets to hot for my little house.

So I just give it a good load of hardwood and once it gets burning good, I choke the air down to almost closed, and it burns hot enough to keep me sweating and the griddle temp @550, with the bypass open, and the cat off.

I might remove the cat block itself and see if it will burn a little longer/hotter without it in and the bypass closed.
The first intrepids (I got one of those too, non cat) only had a brick lined chamber where the new ones have the cat assembly, and they burn nice.

It only goes to reason, the intrepid2 will also with no cat block back there.

When I try it out I'll post some experiment results.
I need a IR temp gun to check these magnet thermometers, I have my doubts they are right or even close.

I have my doubts about running the ting with the cat, the thing gets so hot, even with the air choked down, the thermometer pegs out (900F) and you cant get near the stove its so dang hot.

I think if thats how people run these little stoves, no wonder most 2nd had ones you find are trashed.

Maybe when its zero outside and the wind chill is below zero, it might stay cooler with the cat running, I dunno. I'll be trying it.

for now its keeping 1400 SQ FT pretty warm, and its 35 outside.

The manual says if you run the stove past 700F (griddle temp) for long you will ruin it.
?????

So I just give it a good load of hardwood and once it gets burning good, I choke the air down to almost closed, and it burns hot enough to keep me sweating and the griddle temp @550, with the bypass open, and the cat off.

I might remove the cat block itself and see if it will burn a little longer/hotter without it in and the bypass closed.
The first intrepids (I got one of those too, non cat) only had a brick lined chamber where the new ones have the cat assembly, and they burn nice.

So you don't run your catalytic intrepid w/the catalytic on? you only run it without? hmmm.....i really don't know which stove to use. intrepid cat or noncat.

piglet said:

So you don't run your catalytic intrepid w/the catalytic on? you only run it without? hmmm.....i really don't know which stove to use. intrepid cat or noncat.

The cat version SHOULD be more efficient. Because it is a cat stove and that it is a newer model.

Status
Not open for further replies.