Interior through wall tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

LarchLurch

Jan 20, 2024
NW Wisconsin
Hey all,
I am slowly building a 1500 sq ft ranch style house with a Drolet Escape 2100 in the basement. The overall stove/chimney pipe length is around 27 ft from the stove top straight up. Following @begreen's "Starting a fire and running an EPA stove" steps with dry wood (~17%), there is still a small window for control and it likes to spike in temps sometimes. I have yet to do a true full load yet because of it. It sounds like these Drolet's are easy breathers and I am sure my chimney length and house location (middle of a field Northern WI) are no help to this situation either. Adding a damper has helped, but I am curious if there is anything else I can do?

Adding to the learning curve, we will be finishing off the basement this fall/winter and I am wondering if it is possible to change my current setup into running a through wall thimble on an interior wall and then up. Overall this helps with the layout of both rooms that would be impacted. Any tips or tricks? Will adding this 90 and some horizontal help slow down the draft? Wouldn't have a tee on the inside make it even easier to clean the chimney pipe? I have included a picture of what I am planning on doing .

Thanks for all that you guys do, I have learned a ton over the years

[Hearth.com] Interior through wall tee

Yes, this will slow down the draft, but not ideal and expensive. A second damper would be less so.

Reactions: all night moe
I run a similar set up, same height, horizontal run through the wall. (Lined masonry outside, not class A.)
My stove is not an easy breather, but it runs perfectly. Meaning that it might still be too much for your situation. Of course this depends on more factors, but still.

So yes, it'll likely help reduce draft, but the point is that it is a fixed solution, not tunable. You may want to be able to choke some draft when it's cold and less so when it's not as cold. Dampers provide a control that a different piping does not.

Reactions: all night moe
Thanks for the responses. Mainly looking at making the change due to room layouts. I was a little off on my original design... Ha
The drafting was mostly secondary, and it sounds like it is doable, but not ideal which makes sense.
Last winter was a pretty warm one and I am curious to see how hard this thing will pull when it gets in the negatives...
Plan on purchasing a manometer to get some numbers on the draft

Plan on purchasing a manometer to get some numbers on the draft
It needs to have a low reading range. Something like 0 to .5" is a good range, but 0 to .25" is better. Dwyer makes affordable units and sometimes good deals show up on eBay too.
[Hearth.com] Interior through wall tee

Reactions: LarchLurch