Interesting/Unusual/Unique Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
As the thread title suggests, post pictures or stories about some of the most interesting trees you've come across in your travels.

Can be anything that makes a tree unusual such as size, shape, etc. Can be live or dead, full tree or partial. Let's see what you've got.

(Mods, if this would be better suited to another forum such as the Inglenook, feel free to move it. I just thought it might be appropriate for the woodshed.)

I'll go first. This is a huge Willow that is growing in the lawn out behind a local gas station in town. Apart from the size, the gnarly bark is what makes this one unique.

20240321_150833.jpg
20240321_150842.jpg
20240321_150848.jpg

It definitely has a cool/different bark. 👍

Reactions: thewoodlands
Here's an interesting one, not far from where I live.

20240329_182132.jpg

20240329_182152.jpg

Not sure who carved it or when, but it's been like that for at least the last 20 years or so.

Osage Orange at Fort Harrod, Ky.

1712278641468.png

1712278713868.png

National Register of Champion Trees

Search the register below to see the National Champion Trees by species or look to see which ones are in your state. You can even search National Champion Trees by size or total points. The Champion Trees in the National Register are the biggest of their species as reported to American Forests in the most current year.

https://www.americanforests.org/champion-trees/champion-trees-registry/

Reactions: Solarguy3500
I have the same interesting Willow in the middle of our circle drive. It's about 70 years old with a 6'+ diameter for the first 16'+. My research says it is nearing its willow life cycle. Most people comment on the tree when they come over. The most common comment is "what the #*%& is wrong with that tree" ....after my reply they then say....."It must have some sort of V.D." ......LOL....the dog was upset with me that i took her picture at that moment.
1000006451.jpg