Interesting talk with insurance agent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Decided to call an insurance company that has an arrangement with my employer for discounted car insurance. They quoted me a good price so I then inquire about home owner coverage. We got to the heating system when I replied it was a wood and oil boiler and that we primarily relied on wood. The agent seemed concerned and I was kind of expecting that so I was sure to explain exaclty what we had. I was then asked about the roof and explained it's a very old house with a metal roof that's probably older than I am(56) but in very good repair. She said she would get back to me....I then get a call back and to my surprise the underwriters were more concerened about the roof than the wood boiler. This struck me as odd since to me a claim against storm damaged shingle roof seems to be a higher risk than a strom damaged standing seam metal roof would be?

Must be a kick the industry is on right now. My son's agent just informed them that an ancient farm building on their property must have the metal roof re-painted or they will drop the entire homeowners policy.

When I talked to my insurance they didn't care if I burnt wood or not in the house. They wouldn't let me burn wood
in the shop though.

I gue
Decided to call an insurance company that has an arrangement with my employer for discounted car insurance. They quoted me a good price so I then inquire about home owner coverage. We got to the heating system when I replied it was a wood and oil boiler and that we primarily relied on wood. The agent seemed concerned and I was kind of expecting that so I was sure to explain exaclty what we had. I was then asked about the roof and explained it's a very old house with a metal roof that's probably older than I am(56) but in very good repair. She said she would get back to me....I then get a call back and to my surprise the underwriters were more concerened about the roof than the wood boiler. This struck me as odd since to me a claim against storm damaged shingle roof seems to be a higher risk than a strom damaged standing seam metal roof would be?
I guess in all of their books and notes, it shows that they pay out more in water damage from roof troubles than fire claims. What are they called actuaries? They don't miss a thing, unless the gal didn't know enough to recognize a good old school soldered standing seam that taken care of and painted can last close to forever.

Just last week got informed that insurance was not renewing policy because of wood boiler. I have a vigas with 2000 gallon storage in a insulated fire proof room attached on one side to the workshop. They came and took pictures and looked around, then asked to have local fire chief inspect, but still turned it down even though everybody liked the installation. I talked to them five yrs ago when i went with first outdoor boiler and they were fine. Something has changed. Shopping now for new insurance. I may have to sprinkler the 14 x 20 room to get a good rate. Foamit Up

Just last week got informed that insurance was not renewing policy because of wood boiler. I have a vigas with 2000 gallon storage in a insulated fire proof room attached on one side to the workshop. They came and took pictures and looked around, then asked to have local fire chief inspect, but still turned it down even though everybody liked the installation. I talked to them five yrs ago when i went with first outdoor boiler and they were fine. Something has changed. Shopping now for new insurance. I may have to sprinkler the 14 x 20 room to get a good rate. Foamit Up

That sucks! Is your Boiler room entrance separated from the shed? Can you go from the interior of the workshop into the boiler room?

Does it have fire rock drywall between them?

Amazing to me that it would be an issue with your 2000 gallons of storage. How many hours a day/ week is the boiler actually running?

gg

Did they say exactly what it was about your system that they had an issue with?

My insurance said cant be in the shop even if in seperate room. He then said it could be in the house with no sur-charge "becouse there would be someone to in there more to watch it at night and no flamable liquids like gasoline and such associated with a shop". I then asked about putting it in a shed and he said that is fine as long as you
can see daylight between the shop and shed. So I put it in a shed. I then asked about insuring the shed and he wasn't to interested so I don't have insurance on it. If I could go back in time I would have put a room on the side of the house for it that could be closed off from the house. Hind sight is 20/20.

A lot of people are going to run into this with wood burners installed in garages. For that matter, it doesn't make a difference really if a heater is fired with wood, gas, oil or anything else. Any area that could possibly hold flammable liquids (gasoline etc.) through the course of normal use can not have heating equipment in it. It's an NFPA code. There is limited exception for sealed combustion appliances that use outside air for combustion and have an enclosed burner not exposed to atmosphere of the building interior in any way.

Reactions: dook
I am hoping my boiler house attached to my pole building does not become an issue.

I have fire rock on the adjoining wall, and there is no common entrance, I have to go outside to get into the boiler room.

gg

I am hoping my boiler house attached to my pole building does not become an issue.

I have fire rock on the adjoining wall, and there is no common entrance, I have to go outside to get into the boiler room.

gg

Should be OK because of the "no common entrance" factor. If it's not, shop for a different insurance company.

I am on our fire dpt and have been for 30+ years and have not seen a boiler cause a fire in a shop or garage....And there are a lot of them around here. Boilers that are in a little shed or other out building that get's little attention other than to fire the thing?.......That's a different story.
The common denominator is lack of care in keeping things cleaned up. An interior space which is used for other purposes is generally "policed" better and very seldom is the boiler itself the cause of the fire. The real winners are the OWB's that get a roof put over them because the owner is tired of filling it in the rain/snow/sleet/wind or whatever else is happening outside. 2-3 of them bite the dust every winter, and that's not counting the ones that start the wood pile stacked right next to it on fire.

Do not assume Insurance is logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.