Interesting ecofan test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Weather has been mild here and very consistent temperature wise so I decided to try a test. Day one, I did a 4 split fire using the stove blower on about medium-low speed and timed the rise of house temps around the corner in the hallway where the thermostat resides. It took 3 hrs to get a +2deg rise from startup of the stove. Today, I did the same using just the ecofan. It took half the time to raise the hall temps +2 degrees. Interesting. Next test will have to wait until later in the week. I will try it with no fans to see if the temp rise is due to pure convection or not.

I am a new ecofan user, my wife thought it was a joke and I admit I had my doubts, basically I bought it because I thought it was neet. I did buy it thinking I could use it to evaporate more water from the metal baking pan I use on my stove top.....one full pan per 24 hours (1 1/2 gallon). Now with the ecofan blowing diagonally over the back corner of the pan, I can easily empty 2 1/2 gallons per day. My wife says the kitchen is now warmer with the fan going, I'm glad she is happy!

We are a strange bunch, crazy wood burners!

Don't forget to post your results!

BeGreen said:
Next test will have to wait until later in the week. I will try it with no fans to see if the temp rise is due to pure convection or not.

Have you had a chance to perform this test?

Nah, weather has been fickle mild. It's 47F right now. It's supposed to cool down by Sunday night, so maybe then.

so is it a two blade or three blade fan? just wondering as i see there are two models.

cass

Ours is a 3 blade fan.

I really wish that my insert had a larger lip than the 1" on the top, as I would really like to get one of these.
Probably wouldn't help as much as with the blower, but I just think they are very cool

i would think they would be real useful especially if the power went out. thougt about them many times but thought they might be more of a gimick. good to hear they really work.

cass

OK, I ran the test again today. Temps had dropped down to around 40F and the stove is awake. I tried the no fan test. After one hour there was no change, so I put a couple more sticks on and gave it another hour. The hall temp stayed at 68F. In the afternoon, after a fresh load of wood I put the fan back on. After 75 minutes, the hall was at 71F and the kitchen pantry "felt" warmer to us. Very unscientific, but the fan does seem to help circulate the heat, slowly, but surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.