Interested in relining a fireplace chimney with heat recovery system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serene Burner

Oct 15, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I am trying to get some expert fireplace advice from people without a monetary interest in the outcome - I think this is the place to get that info :cool:

I have a wood burning fireplace (house built in 1985) that has a brick chimney with a clay liner. The clay liner is 9.5" x 9.5" ID. I had the chimney inspected, and they have identified cracks in the liner. The inspector recommended replacing the clay liner for about $4k (quote given a couple of years ago).

I would like to investigate using a square (rectangular) SS liner, and that liner would be sized to maximize the cross sectional area of the re-lined chimney.

Here's the problem : there is a built in heat recovery system in the fireplace. The fireplace has a steel fire box, and 5 steel tubes (about 2.5" in diameter) going across the top of the fire box. There is a flat steel damper above the tubes. When I look up past the tubes, I see the smoke chamber, and do not see the beginning of the clay tile liner.

The question : is there a way to insert a liner and seal the bottom of the liner (at the top of the smoke chamber) without taking the chimney apart ?

Thanks !

Paul

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Interested in relining a fireplace chimney with heat recovery system
    Fireplace Image details small.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 260
You should be able to do a soft block off plate like I did for my insulated fireplace using Roxul, check my sig for a link.

As for the liner you might have to cut the tubes and damper and run an insulated 6" stainless liner down and install an insert.

Can you pull that fireplace out and take some pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.