Insurance increase for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewls

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2007
I am wondering what experience others have had with insurance when putting in a wood stove.
We want to put in a jotul, installed by a professional, etc. My current home insurance premium
will increases $ 120/yr. Is this normal???? Thanks for any input

I think it varys by where you live and the insurance company you use. I have farmers and mine didnt change. I would call other companies and see how they compare.

I have heard this from some of my clients. I don't think it unusual. Insurance is about risk. A stove does increase risk, technically. But then again, so does not upgrading your furnace or electrical service.

Ours went up about $50
Maybe I will send it to the Saudis if I am feeling generous

Thank you all for your info., think I'll investigate more insurance company options.

I have Liberty Mutual and it didn't increase a bit. They just wanted to make sure I had an inspector approve the install.

Matt

Same for me. Our local fire department inspects new or change-out installations for clearances, chimney location, and condition and he gave me a copy of the passed inspection to give to my agent. There was no change in our premiums up or down.

we have allstate, i told my agent that i was putting in woodstove , he asked who was installing , i said i was , he said , ok as long as you are doing it im ok, he knows what i do for a living lol, anyway my insurance did not increase a cent. as long as it is done properly and inspected you should not see an incerase, if so it shouldnt be much.

I called up my HO insurance company (Allstate) when I had my Quad installed (professionally) and the lady told me that they treat the wood stove as a "space heater" She didn't ask who installed it and she never changed or anotated my policy in any shape or form so as far as they're concerned, it seems to be a non-issue. I have a gas boiler downstairs but it is off.

Jay

My State Farm policy didn't increase with my wood burning insert but they said if it was a free standing stove it would have. Go figure.

Jay H said:
I called up my HO insurance company (Allstate) when I had my Quad installed (professionally) and the lady told me that they treat the wood stove as a "space heater" She didn't ask who installed it and she never changed or anotated my policy in any shape or form so as far as they're concerned, it seems to be a non-issue. I have a gas boiler downstairs but it is off.

Jay

Same here,(AMICA Ins. Co.) and I faxed them the speck sheet, with a letter stating that I exceeded all clearances, etc.

My insurance (Erie Ins.) didn't change. Agent said that they would rather you have an insert instead of an open fireplace, since the stove is much safer.

We're about to install a wood stove at our summer/retirement home in Canada. I contacted our insurance agent up there (the Co-Operators) and she handed me a one-sheet basic installation guide and said that the stove needs to be installed according to these guidelines but there will no increase in the insurance premium. Maybe that's because everyone up there has a wood stove.
Chip Tam

My insurance agent said they treat wood stoves as space heaters as well. As long as you have a primary heat source, ie: a furnace, the wood stove is a space heater. They needed no further information.

Same here in PA. It's a second heat source, but they did ask who installed it and if it was inspected. Didn't need to show proof, they just asked.

Bondo©

Just installing a pellet stove in Iowa. My insurance says it has to be inspected and it will cost $25 a year extra. They seem to consider it a fireplace. Gettin a permit is getting to be rediculous, they must not have too many people installing them around here. I already installed it before I knew I needed a permit and when I went to get one, they said it might have to be installed by a licensed contractor. Finally, I talked them into giving me the permit to install it myself. We'll see how the inspection goes.

American family said as long as the insert goes in a pre-existing fireplace there is no difference in the risk they take...it would have gone up if you add a chimney...like another stove where one did not exist. Makes sense to me.

Hmmmm......my house had an old wood stove when I moved in. Not the best installation. I have replaced it with a Jotul Oslo with all required clearances adhered to. I wonder how this is treated? They insured me with the old stove, although I don't know if it is identified in my paperwork.

I've got Nationwide and mine went up, not sure how much yet though. Said that it would increase risk. Had to provide copy of professional install receipt so that I'd be covered in the event of an incident. I'm covered.

Eric

Our insurance went up about $20 a year. I knew to consult the insurance agent ahead of time because there is a specific line on our premium/policy documentation that said "Wood stove: NO" previously. They sent someone to inspect it and measure things and ask a lot of questions, they were much more thorough than the local building inspector, who barely looked at it and measured about 3 distances and looked briefly at the manual. We have Accuity for our insurance.

Problem I ran into was getting it inspected.

First off, I wasn't aware I would need a permit or that the insurance company would even need to be notified as I was venting it out an existing fireplace. I figured if I was covered for an open fire in a fireplace, one that was enclosed by cast iron should if anything lower my premium and make the insurance company that much happier.

Anyway, I went to the village hall and asked about a permit. I was told none was needed for what I was going to do. They said they wouldn't do any inspection for work that did not require a permit. But they suggested I swing by the fire department and ask there to be sure.

Went to the fire department and was told the same thing - no permit, no inspection, don't even ask.

The stove was professionally installed by an outfit in this area that specializes in stoves and inserts. They insisted on a metal deflector for the mantle, bottom heat guard and hearth extention as per code. I complied and all were installed.

But nobody from the village would come out and do any sort of official look-see for insurance purposes.

I am not comfortable with that but am not sure what to do about it.

dogtired said:
Problem I ran into was getting it inspected.

First off, I wasn't aware I would need a permit or that the insurance company would even need to be notified as I was venting it out an existing fireplace. I figured if I was covered for an open fire in a fireplace, one that was enclosed by cast iron should if anything lower my premium and make the insurance company that much happier.

Anyway, I went to the village hall and asked about a permit. I was told none was needed for what I was going to do. They said they wouldn't do any inspection for work that did not require a permit. But they suggested I swing by the fire department and ask there to be sure.

Went to the fire department and was told the same thing - no permit, no inspection, don't even ask.

The stove was professionally installed by an outfit in this area that specializes in stoves and inserts. They insisted on a metal deflector for the mantle, bottom heat guard and hearth extention as per code. I complied and all were installed.

But nobody from the village would come out and do any sort of official look-see for insurance purposes.

I am not comfortable with that but am not sure what to do about it.

I'd ask the gov't types for a letter saying what they told you, and get a copy of the work description from the folks you had do the install, maybe a few pictures w/ a tape measure to show clearances. Send all that to the Ins. Co. and ask them what else you can do...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.