Insurance Company

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
i know this might be a crazy question but i hear you guys saying about calling your insurance company, does anyone have Liberty Mutual ?? i am guessing the reason for calling them is to ask them if i am allowed to install a wood stove??? is there anything else i should talk to them about ?? Thanks in advance.

Don't have LM personally.

The reason that we contact our insurance providers is to inform them we are installing a wood stove. Usually the insurance company will send a form for you to complete and/or a representative to inspect the installation. They may also request a letter from you town's permitting/fire departments stating the unit has been inspected.

It's a CYA on everyone's part.

I called my agent with Allstate they are fine with the stove , but it cost me a extra $25.00 a year to have a wood burning appliance . They also wanted to know if it was professionally installed if not they were going to send some one out to verify the install .

I called my insurance agent, told them I was putting in a stove, they said "ummm ok, well note that in your file, have a good day" Nothing changed.... using a different insurance company now, but same agent... *shrug* As far as I can tell, Im covered

maverick06 said:
I called my insurance agent, told them I was putting in a stove, they said "ummm ok, well note that in your file, have a good day" Nothing changed.... using a different insurance company now, but same agent... *shrug* As far as I can tell, Im covered

My insurance is with USAA and their reaction was the same: we'll note it in your file, no increase in premiums, thanks for calling.

I have Liberty Mutual. If memory serves, all they require here in Mass. is that you send them a copy of the inspection report/permit from your town after they've come out and signed off on your installation.

just for my peace of mind, i notify my insurance company and my insurance agent by calling them and sending them a letter notice by certified mail return receipt requested. once they are notified by certified mail and you have proof of the return receipt, they can't say they didn't know and try to get out of a claim by saying to were not informed. i don't trust just calling them.

i called them today and they said ok no problem we'll note it in your policy, and enjoy your heat lol that was too easy .

Status
Not open for further replies.