Insulation with paper facing in wall behind stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all, tried to ask in my other thread, but that may be confusing my current question.
I am going to insulate and close up the wall inside where my thimble passes through.

1) Will it be okay to use insulation with a paper facing in the wall behind the stove? Or any kind of vapor barrier in this spot?

Duravent is fine with insulation/combustibles coming in contact with the outer part of the thimble in the wall.
The paper facing will be behind durock and non combustible wall covering (tile/stone), and is outside of the combustibles clearances requirements. Makes sense that it should be fine with the stove clearances (jotul f100)

Pic of area needing insulation:

Clearance to combustibles means exactly what it sounds like...if you maintain your clearances, you're good to go. That being said, peace of mind plays a role, and if something seems sketchy to you, overbuild it.

Reactions: Alexander L
Well, Duravent is hard to pin down on this one. The instructions call for framing a 14.5" square for the thimble to pass through. No mention of any insulating inside of that square after you have installed the wall thimble. This is an exterior wall, so I figure it makes sense to insulate wherever I can. Maybe it is not necessary to insulate that small area around the thimble. Duravent does not address this in the instructions.

Duravent tech support says insulation can contact the outside part of the thimble, but the lady cannot tell me wether or not i am supposed to insulate in this area, as it is not addressed in the install instructions.

So... here is a pic of what I was going to do. I planned to insulate inside of the thimble framing with roxul mineral wool... stuffed right up against the thimble.

I am wondering if it is safe to do so... I only want a fire in my stove, not in the wall.
Like this:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound can withstand intense temperatures of up to 2150°F and delays the spread of fire for added safety....

This is what I copied from home Depot....but when I'm in doubt especially when it comes to my life and others in the home I start making phone calls...I wanna hear in person from several people if it's a go or no go.

If you light a butane torch and set it down so it's flaming right on Roxul, it eventually eats a little hole in the insulation where the flame is constantly hitting it, but it does not smoke or catch fire before the torch's tank goes empty. I think those flames can be upwards of 2500°F.

I know this because that's the exact demo the Roxul sales reps used to do when safe&sound came out.

Jason, I'm the same way. I will be calling and bugging Duravent tech support again tomorrow to get them to give me a solid answer about insulating in that space.

If it's rated for contact with combustibles (and it looks like it's damn near contacting the framing and sheathing), I'd say it's good to go...especially with Roxul. That stuff will combust after your stove has already liquified.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Okay, appreciate all of the advice. Can't wait to be using the stove!

So, the clearance to combustibles is just that.
If the stove manual calls for an 11" rear clearance to an unprotected surface, I could choose to close that wall up with plain 'ol drywall, so as long as the back of the stove is at least 11" from that combustible wall surface.

Well, if no one sees a problem with how I insulated the wall (including Duravent), than I am going to get on with closing up the wall and installing this little stove.

the dura vent thimble is designed to allow combustibles to touch the outside shell of it, the thimble allows the minimum 2" air space between the class a pipe and anything like insulation. In other words your good to go