Insulation-heat reflective material for RV woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmygyu

Sep 21, 2011
Southern Il
Hi,

I have a small bus that I am converting to an RV. I want to add a (tiny) wood stove to it. I am facing a number of challenges with this unconventional decision; right now I'm trying to figure out fireproofing.

The bus walls are fiberglass; the floor is rubber over wood. I need to be able to set the stove pretty close to the wall, maybe about 6 inches away, preferably less. I'm wondering what I should use to insulate my walls and floor from the stove. I've looked at durock next-gen for the floor (I can get some free samples from them; enough to put under my stove at least). I also have a 'stove pad' to put under the stove, in addition to the durock. What's more confounding is figuring what to put on the walls.

I'm trying to find some kind of insulation/heat reflective material that is flexible and lightweight; high temp ceramic fiber looks awesome for insulating, but I wouldn't want to use the stuff bare (loose fibers and all that). Does anyone make panels of ceramic fiber that are encased in some kind of heat reflective material, so the fibers can't break and get into the air? Or are there some good alternatives for what I'm trying to do? I'm a total newb at this, so I wondering if I'm looking at the wrong materials.

Cheers,
Tim

One place you might begin your research is the world of small solid fuel-burning appliances installed on boats. These folks know how to do it safely and what sorts of stoves and materials to use. Whatever you do, be careful...and you don't have to try to invent it yourself, it's all been done before somewhere by someone. Take advantage of others' experiences. Rick

http://www.marinestove.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.