Insulating Exterior Wall Brick Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

shoot-straight

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
Kennedyville, MD
Hey Gang- My freestanding BK Ashford sits in an oversized brick fireplace that in on an outside wall. So I am assuming that there is simply two layers of brick between the stove and outside. I plan to use an IR gun this winter and see, but I am assuming I am losing TONS of heat by having this setup. Here are inside and outside pics. I think I would only need to insulate the lower section under the porch? Sorry for the distance, it was the only pic I could find, and its from 13 years ago when the house was just finished.

[Hearth.com] Insulating Exterior Wall Brick Fireplace [Hearth.com] Insulating Exterior Wall Brick Fireplace

I am thinking of insulating the outside of the brick with some sheet foam and then sheathing and siding to match the house.

Anyone do this or think it would be worth the effort and reduced aesthetics?

I have also considered switching to an insert, however I do not like the way they look as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd just put some insulation behind the insert and cover it with metal painted flat or satin black.

Is there an insulated block-off plate installed to seal off the damper area? Does the stove have a blower?

I think I'd just put some insulation behind the insert and cover it with metal painted flat or satin black.

Is there an insulated block-off plate installed to seal off the damper area? Does the stove have a blower?

its not an insert, its a free standing stove that sits 1/2 in and 1/2 out the fireplace. yes i have an insulated block off plate. the stove has a blower.

its not an insert, its a free standing stove that sits 1/2 in and 1/2 out the fireplace. yes i have an insulated block off plate. the stove has a blower.
Yes, can see it's freestanding. I'd just insulate behind it.

Interesting idea. Not too much room back there. Only a few inches.

Why not move the stove out so it clears the fireplace completely ?