Insulated wall thimble to double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don.S

Nov 11, 2017
Montreal QC
So i have a lined chimney with a insulated wall thimble. I want to put double wall stove pipe so i can push my stove closer to the wall. If i stick a double wall 90 on the snub sticking out it gets me to 13 inches from the wall and my stove calls for 14 inches. The crimping of the double wall looks funny and leads me to believe that this is not the correct way to connect it. What are my options here? How can i get a extra inch or two of distance?
One other question is how to i cut down the stove pipe to fit since both ends are crimped? Can i just cut and re crimp?
Insulated wall thimble to double wall stove pipeInsulated wall thimble to double wall stove pipeInsulated wall thimble to double wall stove pipe

The last attachment on Selkirk DSP does look funny, and you are supposed to cover the funny looking crimps with the "finishing band".

The easiest way to get the right length of the vertical piece is to use an adjustable, telescoping length of pipe. The telescoping pipe makes disassembly easier, too.

I have cut and recrimped Selkirk DSP. It is a pain but doable. Cut the end that has the crimp on the internal stainless pipe, and you can get your crimping tool in there to recrimp. The shorter your newly cut pipe is, the more difficult it is to get the crimping tool in there to recrimp the stainless.

Neither of my answers helps with your clearance. You could always do a properly vented wall shield, if your stove manufacturer's manual gives you that option. Done well, they can look nice.

Attachments

• Insulated wall thimble to double wall stove pipe
    DSP-FB.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 122
So i have a lined chimney with a insulated wall thimble. I want to put double wall stove pipe so i can push my stove closer to the wall. If i stick a double wall 90 on the snub sticking out it gets me to 13 inches from the wall and my stove calls for 14 inches. The crimping of the double wall looks funny and leads me to believe that this is not the correct way to connect it. What are my options here? How can i get a extra inch or two of distance?
One other question is how to i cut down the stove pipe to fit since both ends are crimped? Can i just cut and re crimp?
View attachment 276623View attachment 276624View attachment 276625
Get a chimney adapter

Get a chimney adapter

Good idea.. that gets him a little further from the wall and eliminates the need for the finishing band. Selkirk part number DSP6CA.

If you do end up trying to cut the pipe, I had luck using an angle grinder with a wheel used for cutting and grinding metal.

I tried using tin snips on my Duravent double wall pipe, it was impossible! Maybe it would be easier on single wall pipe, the 2nd layer kept getting in the way. Angle grinders cut right through it though, make sure to be safe and follow the instructions.

To be clear guys, you are not allowed to cut double wall pipe

To be clear guys you are not allowed to cut double wall pipe

Thank you for letting us know. I don't want to highjack this thread, so I will start a new one asking about it.

So if i cant cut the double wall what do i do? Try and find a length that fits exactly or get a telescopic pipe?
A telescoping section

...also get a telescoping pipe or adjusting pipes and might as well get a stove adapter/damper in double wall.