instant hot water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have a small electric tankless in the garage, it is pretty awesome. We have a larger model that does the apt and will feed a washer, dishwasher and sink at the same time. It uses a bit of power, but only runs when it is on. I have been really happy with them both.

We have a small electric tankless in the garage, it is pretty awesome. We have a larger model that does the apt and will feed a washer, dishwasher and sink at the same time. It uses a bit of power, but only runs when it is on. I have been really happy with them both.
I have a water heater on my third floor. It was placed up there by a prior owner, solely to feed a bathroom for a suite up there that we rarely use. I always feel like it's a time bomb, and have thought a tankless might be a good replacement option, except... it's in an unconditioned attic space that gets quite cold. I believe the heat conducted to the pipes from that big tank of water may be the only thing that keeps our pipes up there from freezing when temperatures dip toward zero. I've not seen a tankless with a freeze protection option, last I checked.

I have a water heater on my third floor. It was placed up there by a prior owner, solely to feed a bathroom for a suite up there that we rarely use. I always feel like it's a time bomb, and have thought a tankless might be a good replacement option, except... it's in an unconditioned attic space that gets quite cold. I believe the heat conducted to the pipes from that big tank of water may be the only thing that keeps our pipes up there from freezing when temperatures dip toward zero. I've not seen a tankless with a freeze protection option, last I checked.

Most indoor and outdoor tankless water heaters have built-in freeze protection against temporary winter temperatures ranging from -5 degrees Fahrenheit to -22 degrees Fahrenheit

Reactions: Ashful
Three of our sinks are on a long run from the boiler room, and thus take a very long time to get hot water. All three are in a tight grouping, near one another at the end of this line, making me think that a small water heater placed near the point of use would be a good solution to the problem. We are talking about 50 feet of 1/2" line, so less than 1 gallon of stored cold water in the line, between appliances and the boiler. I'm wondering if there are some small 2 - 3 gallon water heaters that I could hang from a joist in the end of the basement near the point of use of these three sinks, and feed from a single 230 volt line, similar to the "Instant Hot" type products you might normally see mounted under a single sink.

I know that new construction would have a return and circulator, for situations like this, but this ain't new construction.
there electric ones you can buy install under the sink

Most indoor and outdoor tankless water heaters have built-in freeze protection against temporary winter temperatures ranging from -5 degrees Fahrenheit to -22 degrees Fahrenheit

Thx. Will look into that, when I can dig myself out of the project hole I’ve worked myself into this summer. Three big unexpected / unplanned things have set me back months, starting with a tornado in May, it might be another two years before I’m back on track.

there electric ones you can buy install under the sink

Gotta shower in that bath, too. Besides, feed plumbing is on opposite side of that wall, in the unconditioned attic.