Installing Wood Stove near indoor Air handler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

YEAHTOM

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2009
UPPER MARLBORO MD
Hello I am new to these forums so please give me some help if you can.

I am considering getting a wood stove to offset some of the cost of our electricity bill. We have electric heat, hot water, and stove. Everything runs off electricity and its getting pretty expensive. My air-handler is installed in our dining/living room. The rooms are split by an archway and the air handler is more in the dining room. My idea was to get the wood stove installed it would be directly across the from the air handler maybe separated by 8 ft at the most Once it gets hot enough I could just run the fan on the air pump to circulate the heat throughout the house. What things should I look out for why wouldn't this be a good idea to produce heat in the house? I know I would still be running the air handler on electricity but that has to be cheaper then the heat pump. Would carbon monoxide also be an issue with this setup? Thanks for any help and advice.

Tom

Welcome to the forum Yeahtom! Running the blower on your heatpump will help average out the temps throughout your house somewhat. I run the blower on my geothermal heat pump to help "average out" house temps. But don't think that you are going to be blowing very hot air thru your ducts. Cools down some by the time it gets to where it is going and it doesn't start out as hot as a normal furnace would supply. There is likely some minimum distance (10' ?) between wood stove and furnace cold air intake. Many threads on forum how it is better to pull cold air from cold rooms than try to push in hot air.

I believe the stove needs to be at least 10ft away from the air handler intake. Check local code.

I will look into that the farther I get away from the air handler I think I might run into problems getting the hot air to be sucked into the air handler. The intake is about 2 feet off the floor. I guess I can look into trapping the air just in the dinning room so once it got hot enough in there it will only be able to draw in the warm air.

Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.