Installing wood stove for the first time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmelick421

Nov 4, 2014
Easton, PA
Hi there!

I am a super newbie to having a wood stove and currently decided to put one in my house, so I am looking for some information on heat shields? what type of brick or stone I should buy? I have my stove and know my clearances but see some people who have there brick/stone mortared right to the wall and then was reading that you need an inch of air space between the wall and brick/stone? Where does metal mesh come into play? Also this might be a dumb question but do I need to check that my floors can support all of the weight? my home is a 115 year old brick home and I have pine floors with no sub floor. Any information would be really appreciated Thank so much!

What stove (make/model) do you have? A heat shield with a 1" air gap is only required when you are below the required clearances stated in the manual. However, the manual must also allow the installation of a heat shield to reduce clearance. For the hearth, we need to know if it is ember protection only or if some r-value is required.

Last edited:
Go down into the basement. Measure the size of the floor joists, such as, 2x10 etc. Then measure how much distance there is between two joists. Then measure how far the joist spans.

Without more info, the suggestions for heat shields is a bit premature. Your stove make/model will dictate the clearance to combustibles and hearth requirements. We need to start there.

I have a Hampton H300!

Okay - the Hampton is a nice stove with reasonable clearances. Do you not have the ability to meet clearance to combustibles without using a heat shield? Heat shields should be the "exception", not the "rule". Check the manual - the C to C measurements are in there along with the floor protection requirements.

The floor will probably be fine. The hearth pad spreads the load across multiple joists. Is this a corner or flat wall install? What is the clearance that you are trying to achieve for the stove?

I am looking to put it in the corner of my dining room and I should have no problem meeting the 18" C to C we are going to make the hearth a little bigger then required so we can keep some wood on it.

Remember - wood is considered combustible.:p

Good - it sounds like you don't really have a need for a heat shield at this time.

A good trick is to make a mockup of the stove out of cardboad boxes. That way you can play with positioning, flue alignment and check clearances. In the least take some painter's tape and mark out the hearth and stove outlines for measurement verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.